Chapter 32: Ro and Kylie

I really regret running into the forest without my bug gear on. The mosquitoes were absolutely ferocious during this portage. They were awful! They were so bad, I couldn't even stop to take a break. If I tried, then numerous hordes of mosquitoes would circle me. I heard them whine by my ears as I ran away from them and my family. Ugh, this was probably the worst portage we took. The bugs were so bad that I couldn't even see in front of me. All I saw were the black figures of the mosquitoes.

I sprinted the entire way to the end of the portage. I was forced to. The entire time I ran, mosquitoes chased me, and tears streamed down my cheeks. I just wanted to get away from my family. I didn't want to see them again for the rest of the trip. I mean, that's how I felt. Suddenly, the ground gave way under my feet, and I fell. Yelling, I rolled down a hill, and the mysterious dry bag flew from my hand. I crashed down hard on my front in the dirt. Still sobbing, I struggled to my hands and knees and cried out, "Ow!" That fall really hurt. It knocked the breaths clean out of me.

When I finally caught them, I peered forward and saw that I was resting at the end of the portage. The mysterious dry bag was right next to the water, and I saw that the doll and a few more things had scattered from it. Shooing bugs away, I struggled to my feet and rubbed myself down. My eyes landed on the bag, and I started to make my way towards it. The fall hurt my ankle a little bit, but it was nothing serious. I merely ignored the tingling. I didn't really care about my ankle anyway. I cared about the dry bag and Ihaan instead. I actually wondered if there was some connection between him and the bag. Hmm. Was there, or was there not? I had so many questions, but I wasn't sure if I would find the answers.

        I had just about made it to the dry bag when I heard another crack in the forest. Seriously, when would this cracking end?! I gasped and whirled around, facing the forest. "Is that you, Ihaan?" I asked.

No answer. I heard nothing. Nervous, I gulped. If it wasn't Ihaan, then was it the Ghost of Ontario? The crack came again. I planted my feet and took deep breaths. I then heard another sound behind me and turned, facing the forest from the other direction. I waited. Then, I saw it. From within the forest, there was a shadow. Except, this shadow wasn't Ihaan. It looked like Ro.

Ro it was. Her shadow sprung to life, and she zoomed out of the forest. She came right for me.

I gasped.

Ro flew right into my chest and knocked me down. Gosh, how many times was I going to fall?

Unharmed, I quickly sat up and gripped Ro's sides, holding her up to my face.

She struggled to release herself, but I held her tightly. She appeared to be worried about something.

"Ro?" I asked. "Ro, what are you doing here? Where's Ihaan?"

Ro again struggled to release herself. She seemed to glare. I think I lifted her spirit. I saw kindness in her yellow eyes. This was remarkable! I couldn't believe I was holding a real bald eagle! I had one question in mind about her. Was Ro ticklish? She got a little squirmy when I held her. "Are you ticklish?" I asked, and I scratched her under the bill.

Ro cried out. It sounded like laughter. She squirmed in my hands.

I felt myself smiling. Ro was ticklish! Removing my hand, I next scratched her on the belly. Again, she screeched and squirmed.

Blushing, I laughed and announced, "You're so cute!"

        A growing bond began between Ro and I. We became friends, even though I deeply unsettled her on Red Squirrel Lake. She really was quite a cute bird.

Ro looked me right in the eyes and seemed to smile. She actually knew some secrets about Ihaan that I didn't, and she came to me as an attempt to share them. Before giving her message, she gestured for me to set her down.