Chapter 22: The Light in the Fog

Song: "Believe" - Fox Sailor

        The two men from Quebec decided to be good Samaritans. They helped us get our supplies to the end of the portage. They carried our bags and paddles, and thanks to them, we were able to get everything to the end in a much shorter time frame than we would have if they didn't help.

I remained at the end of the dock the entire time.

        As time progressed, Red Squirrel Lake got foggier and foggier. Uh oh, fog. Would we be able to canoe in it? We wouldn't be able to find the campsite if it was so dang foggy. I knew this fog was being created by the Ghost of Ontario.

I gulped and tilted my head back. I saw Aunt Delia.

She was standing with the two Quebecers, and she was thanking them. "We can't thank you enough." Both the men wore bug nets over their heads.

One man waved his hand and said, "Aw, don't mention it." He had brown hair and hazel eyes. He continued, "It looks like you guys have been through a lot today."

Here, I spoke up, even though I made Mom mad because I wasn't supposed to speak for the rest of the day. That was my punishment. However, I broke it. I stood up and called to the men which both of them and Aunt Delia glanced at me. "Oh, it's been terrible! To celebrate getting through the first two portages, dudes, we have to next canoe and camp on Red Squirrel Lake where..."

One of the men interrupted me. "Where the Ghost of Ontario's hideout it located. Not to worry, young lady, he's not too feisty yet. This fog isn't his doing. It's normally foggy on this lake."

"Are you sure about that?" I asked, "See?!" I glanced at Camp Juniper, "They know the Ghost of Ontario lives here too!"

Mom glared. "It's a bunch of poppycock." She helped load some things into our canoes, "The residents of Finlayson and the Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Provincial Park just wanted to scare us. But they're not scaring me!"

I opened my mouth to speak, but she interrupted me. "I've had enough of your attitude today, lass! I thought we made a deal that you wouldn't speak for the rest of the day! Perhaps tomorrow you'll be more involved in this trip rather than complaining all the time about this so-called Ghost of Ontario."

I scoffed and crossed my arms, turning away. "I want to go home."

"Well suck it up!" Mom snapped, "You're not going home for a week! Try to at least enjoy the trip instead of being a drag all the time!"

One of the Quebecers smirked and brought his fist to his lips.

Hearing him, I turned and glared, saying, "You think that's funny? How would you like to be dragged on a canoe trip with just adults as a teenager with nobody else your age to hang out with? That's just asking for trouble."

Mom zipped up my lips and threw away the key.

I crossed my arms and plopped down on the dock again. I heard Mom behind me.

"I apologize about her. She's normally not like this. When she's in a good mood, she's a lot of fun. However, she's been in a bad mood all day."

"Ah, don't worry," spoke one of the men, "It's a teenage thing. It's called mood swings." They helped up load the canoes, and the fog kept moving in.

        Finally, when we were ready to move on, the fog was intense. We would not be able to find our campsite in it. I tried to tell this to Camp Juniper. I told them, "Dudes, the fog's too thick. We'll get lost if we go out there! Why don't we camp here tonight?"