Chapter 16: Ranger Kate's Secret

I didn't know this, but did you know that Ranger Kate has a fear of canoes? You didn't? Of course. I am the one telling you the story. You guys weren't there. Well, Ranger Kate does fear canoes, and I learned this when we went to the ranger station to check out. If this wasn't an important part in this story, then I wouldn't be talking about this, but it is. Audience, look. Look for clues because I can guarantee you that you're going to find one in this part of my story.

        As I mentioned before, before we could even leave Finlayson Point Provincial Park, we had to stop and check out at the ranger station. We parked in the exact places that we parked the day before, and this time, together, Camp Juniper climbed out of our cars and met up with each other. Uncle Clement, Uncle Harrison, and Uncle Macon all had to use the restroom soon after we arrived. They made us, Aunt Delia, Aunt Lydia, Uncle Bart, Aunt Jessie, Dad, Mom, and me in charge of checking out.

Soon after they took off, the rest of Camp Juniper's members together glanced at the station, and guess who we saw climbing the stairs who seemingly appeared from out of nowhere? That's right, Ranger Kate. I assumed she had just made it to work.

Aunt Jessie soon jumped up and down, and she waved at her, calling, "Ranger Kate, hi!"

She heard her. She stopped halfway up the stairs and slowly turned to us. Oh, my gosh, she was so beautiful. I think it was her eyes.

She nodded and depressingly said, "Good morning, Camp Juniper," to us, "Are you checking out?"

Dad nodded, "We are, ma'am," and he stepped in front of us, "Today is our first day of canoeing in the Lady Evelyn-Smoothwater Provincial Park."

"Really?" Ranger Kate asked, "Well, um..." She cleared her throat, and her eyes landed on the Excursion, "you really don't think you can canoe without canoes, right?" Huh? What did she mean by that? Don't worry, I was confused at first too.

        Dad soon asked Ranger Kate, "What do you mean?"

To answer him, Ranger Kate slowly lifted her hand and pointed at the Excursion's roof.

Camp Juniper turned, and we gasped at what we saw. Both of the canoes on the Excursion, Old Town #1 and Old Town #2's ropes came undone, and both of them were slowly starting to slip off the roof of it!

Dad gasped, "Oh gee!" and he hurried to Old Town #1, catching it before it could hit the ground. However, he had trouble getting it back on the roof. Also, Old Town #2 was slipping even more now. Dad soon asked for Ranger Kate's help because one: he couldn't deal with two canoes at once, two, because he didn't have the muscles of Camp Juniper, and three, because she was a ranger. Glancing at her, he politely asked, "Ranger Kate, do you think you can help me with this please?"

The rest of Camp Juniper's eyes landed on Ranger Kate.

She pointed at herself and asked, "Me?" in a sudden, frightened voice. Strange, why did she seem frightened by this request?

Struggling Dad nodded and asked, "Please?"

Ranger Kate started to sweat. She shook her head and backed up.

A mosquito whined by my ear, but I slapped it away.

"No." Ranger Kate soon told us, and she wrapped her arms around her body, "I can't, Mr. Juniper. I can't."

"Why not?" Dad breathlessly asked her, and he heaved the canoe he had up, "Please, Ranger Kate. I can't do this by myself."

The remaining members of Camp Juniper glanced at Ranger Kate again.

She finally said, "Fine!" in a fearful tone, and climbing down the stairs, she started to approach us. I glanced at the ranger station, and I saw that the door had opened. Ranger Amelia appeared in the doorframe, and she watched us.