Hutton Road

It was a cold, dim night in Santa Fe. As I was going for my nightly jog to blow off some steam from an argument I had with my parents. this is typical when you have a fifteen year old daughter that gets anger issues from both sides of the family. While I was running I came across a lady closer to the middle of the road. In instinct I thought it was common courtesy to just go around her. Once I was slightly closer to the lady something hit me. Something was off about her.

This lady wasnt your normal or typical person you would see on a lonesome road in the backways of a town. Now dont think that she was an elderly woman who might actually been lost and needed my help to get back to her long lost daughter. She wasnt a lost child either who conveniently wondered away from her parents. She seemed by her height and structure to be around fifteen or sixteen. The dress she wore was long and silky. The trim and hemming of the dress was a dark brown cottonesk fabric. The white overlay and corset were a cream colored or an off white. The whole thing seemed old. Like something you would find people wearing in those photoshoots in fake old timey photos.

Another thing that caught my eye was the fact that she had an umbrella. Now by knowing that she was dressed in older fashion you might have thought that  this wouldnt be a typical umbrella. Well I guess you are right, it wasnt. It was made of lace in that same cream color, where you knew at some point in this poor umbrella's life it was a pearl white. Also by the fact that she was holding it in the dark you could tell something was up. What was she protecting herself from the sun? The sun wasnt out. So she had no use of an umbrella at this time of night.

Once I started to approach her and the more I fixated on her, the more it became obvious that you couldnt see any of her features. It seemed as if she was just a walking dress and umbrella. No person.
I tried to shake it off

'Its just a paid actor walking home. She is just a normal person Madi.' I tried to convience myself. Which wasnt working.

It was something my counselor had told me to try. Breathe in for two seconds, hold for two, exhale for four. All the while you think to yourself, in a calming voice, a goal or something to help calm yourself. We did those on Mondays as a 'mindfulness monday'.

Once I was past the girl, things started to get heavy. I dropped dead in my path and hit the pavement. My mind still fully functioning. She walks closer to my body.

Click
Click
Click

Her heels against the pavement had a soothing affect in me. I wasnt as panicked as I was two minutes ago.

She reaches my body and i am finally able to see her face.

Cold, pale, seemingly unrested and ill looking. Mouth covered in purples and blues. Blackish veins dusted the outside of her mouth. And a mottling face.

The facial features still slightly undistinguishable.

"Madi. Dont be frightened. I only came to take your life." She said with a grin.

'No. No. I cant die. Not now.'

" Oh honey, you dont get to choose when you die." She said now giggling. It was like she could read my mind.

The next morning my parents woke up to find I was on the news

MISSING PERSON

Name: Madison Kelson
Age: 15
Last seen in: Black spandex shorts and a Navy T-shirt
Area last seen: Huton Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico

" Madi? Gone? That could never happen!" My mother said.

Maybe she was right. It could never happen. It was the truth until that night I was intentionally going to die. Unfortunately it wasn't a peaceful way to day.

Mottled:  the mottled definition is that of smears and spots of colors presenting on any surface. Thus, mottled skin occurs when the skin shows patchy and irregular colors. Mostly it is purple and red, appearing in streaks or spots and may even have a marbled semblance