Chapter 11- Justin

Heat swamps the left side of my body and a pinch of pain rakes across my middle. slowly pulling myself from the clutches of sleep, I blink open my eyes to see a lump of black fur perched on my stomach and Jade curled into my side.

My lip curls. I've never had a pet but, if I had to choose I would definitely be a dog guy; preferably a chocolate lab.

Winnie, the cat she named after the witch in Hocus Pocus, peers at me with yellow orbs for eyes and a little too much intelligence for my liking. Little claws prickle my skin as she wiggles around. Before she gets comfortable, I shew her off me and the damn thing makes a disgruntle sound as she jumps off the bed.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm not a morning person either." I grumble.

A numbing tingle travels down my arm and I carefully pry it from under Jade's body. I brush the blond strands from her face and thick lashes feather over her cheek. She's fast asleep with her hand resting on my stomach and pebbled nipples under her camisole. I carefully untangle myself and pull the covers over her half naked body.

I sit up, scooting to the edge of the bed and rub the groggy haze from my eyes as last night comes rushing back to me.

After leaving Big Jeans, Jade invited us over to hang at her house. While Ian stayed in the basement with Heather, I followed Jade to her room where I kicked back a few beers as we listened to her playlist.

I hate the sour taste of beer but I let the alcohol bury the events from this week while Heather gave me a strip tease.

In tune with the beat, she shook her tight little ass and dipped it low like she was on a stage dancing for dollar bills. Her body was sick and I can't deny her sex appeal except something was off.

My blood ran cold and instead of arousal I felt indifferent. No, that's not right. What I felt was a simmering burn of annoyance and confusion.

When Jade climbed on my lap, thoughts of Rayne and how she rejected me in front of everyone pushed to the forefront of my mind.

I'm not going to lie, the whole thing did a number on my ego. I can't remember the last time I was so boldly dismissed, like the thought of being anywhere near me made her skin crawl.

As screwed up as it was, the shit turned me on.

Any other girl would've tripped over her own two feet to get at me but not little miss attitude. The fact that she would rather hang with that dork, Eli, tells me she's a few fries short of a Happy Meal.

Even though I'm good at masking my emotions, I stood there stunned and her rejection only helped feed my curiosity.

While I ate, she become my entertainment. I watched her interact with a boy I took to be her brother. He had the same full cheeks with skin a few shades darker than her honey brown. She looked at him like a parent would with a child and the way he leaned into her made me think of my own big sister when we were younger.

When she talked to Eli, her smile was easy and a lone dimple appeared on her right cheek. I wondered if they were dating. their body language wasn't quite like boyfriend and girlfriend but the way he looked at her pointed to something different.

That same reaction from yesterday at the diner returned with a vengeance because when she looked my way, all I got were eyes full of daggers.

I'm not used to the blatant dislike, well, other than my father and Nathaniel. Even Bridget's anger is a front. One snap of my fingers and she'd come crawling back into my good graces. Rayne clearly doesn't like me which is fucking rude. She can at least get to know me before coming to that conclusion.