Chapter 12- Rayne

I'm hunkered down in my car like a straight up coward.

The bright light from the theater cast a rainbow over my dashboard as I carry on the debate I've been having all day.

Is this a date or just two friends hanging out?

I was tempted to ask but chickened out and thought it best to go with the flow. No need to create drama where there might not be any.

One thing about me is that I hate kinks. Kinks in plans, kinks in my normal way of life, and kinks that may upset the delicate balance that keeps me afloat. Basically, I'm not the greatest at change.

That seems to happen when one of your parents dies and your whole world is flipped on its axis. I have to remind myself that change doesn't always have to be so debilitating. It can also be a push to something good.

Or, a push off a rocky cliff.

See, there goes my pessimistic side interrupting my attempt at optimism.

My mind takes off full speed, running down all the ways this night could go horribly wrong.

What if Eli turns into a horny jerk and tries to grope me in the movies? What if he goes in for a kiss and I sneeze in his face? What if aliens descend from the sky, abducts us, and carries us off to Mars?

I shake my head at how ridiculous I sound. None of those things are are going to happen because Eli can barely make eye contact without blushing and is too shy to hold my hand let alone grope me.

"Everything is going to be fine. It's just a movie so calm the hell down." I tell myself as my phone chimes.

Candis: Are you to making out in the back seat yet?

I roll my eyes with a chuckle.

Me: Stop it. I just got here, hussy.

Candis: Keep me posted and I slipped some condoms in your purse just in case

She did what?

I grab my bag and look inside. Sure as the moon hangs in the sky, three condoms are sitting in the bottom of my purse. One, a gold foil with a Post-it note that says, you lucky girl.

Laughter bubbles up from my chest. I can't with that girl.

Feeling better, I switch my cell to silent, grab my bag, and escape the safety of my little car.

Once I step through the doors, I search for Eli among the people milling about and find him waiting by the concession stand. He's rodding back on his heels and looks as nervous as I feel. As soon as he spots me, relief clears his expression.

Did he think I would stand him up?

"Wow, you look nice." The way he takes me in, eyes wide, you would think I walk around dressed in a potato sack. "Not that you don't look nice every day, you know I just mean you really look pretty, but, you're always pretty, so..." His voice trails off, his face going up in flames.

"Thanks." I can't help but chuckle. His nervousness is putting me at ease. "Not too shabby yourself."

Sans glasses again, he's in a pair of dark jeans, a button down gray shirt, and casual shoes.

Since I didn't want to make this a big deal, I'm lowkey in a pair of black skinny leg jeans, a burgundy off the shoulder sweater, and black booties I got this past Christmas. My hair is half

up/half down and I send prayer to the hair gods that my curls wont frizz into an afro by the end of the night. I usually skipped the tedious task of putting on makeup but for the occasion I swiped on a coat of mascara and blackberry lipstick.