Chapter 15- Rayne

After lunch, the last two periods zoomed by and when I walk into Sociology class, the desks have been rearranged into pairs. I take the seat across from Lucy, a quiet girl with bushy brown hair and aqua marine eyes.

"What's all this about?" I drop my book bag and unzip the top.

"Don't know. I guess Miss Reynolds decided to feng shui the place."

I lean over the side of the desk and dig in my bag pulling out my text book and planner. I'm fishing around for a pen when a pair of red and black Nike's come into view. My eyes travel up jean clad legs to a wide chest behind a black sweatshirt then stop at hazel eyes twinkling with mischief.

"Looking for something?" Justin's smooth baritone has me brushing off a slight shiver.

Instead of answering, I dumbly blink my eyes causing him to cock a brow and smile at my awkwardness.

Until this morning, I used to think he had a nice smile with perfect white teeth and a little dimple in his chin. Now I find it to be rakish and slimy.

"Uh, no...I mean yeah, my pen."

He takes the seat at the pair of desk beside us and pulls out a pen from the mesh lining of his bookbag.

"Here you go."

I stare at his outstretched hand like he's handing me a bloody knife from a crime scene.

Lucy nudges my foot and I finally snap out of it.

"No, thanks, I have one. Somewhere." I mumble the last word and I'm about to haul my bag on my desk to dig inside when the scent of expensive cologne hits me in the face like a one-two punch.

A black Bic drops on my desk. I begrudgingly dropped my bag and grouse out a, "Thanks."

I straighten in my chair and Lucy glances from me to Justin then back at me before raising a questioning brow. I shrug it off then open my planner to check off the items I finished on my to do list.

Just as the bell rings, Miss Reynolds comes in and gets the class started. She explains the assignment for the day and passes out a questionnaire.

"You guys can move around if you like but you will stick with your partner for the next week."

Since most of us are already paired with someone we're comfortable with, only three other students change seats. Lucy and I are about to get started when Justin slides out of his seat and in two long strides, he's beside my partner's desk.

"You don't mind trading places with me, do you?" The command is covertly posed as a question. He further persuades her with his signature smirk and Lucy looks like a deer in headlights. She glances to me for help and since I have no interest in being paired with Hugh Hefner in the making, I subtly shake my head.

"Uhh,"

"Thanks, Luce." He cuts her off and steps back to give her room.

As she gets out of her seat, steam puffs from my ears and I get the urge to stab him with his own pen.

The way he expected Lucy to automatically fall in line with his request tap dances on my last nerve. But, what else should I expect? Just like that night at Big Jeans, Justin has no regard for others.

Lucy mouths a, sorry, but it's not her fault the Golden Boy of Crestfield is a privileged, spoiled jack ass. As self-assured as he is, he probably grew up with parents that coddle him and praised every little thing he did.

How tragic.

As my classmates start the assignment, I tap the pen on the desk meeting Justin's stare with a glower.