III

Published: December 3rd, 2021

The next day, Mother was in a much better mood. Rapunzel and you had agreed not to bring the lights up again. You spent the entire day laying around and rereading your books.

Around noon, you had finished your favorite story; The Tales of Flynnigan Rider. You looked up to see your mother staring expectantly at you from across the table.

You blinked a few times before realizing what she wanted. You placed the book you just started, The Horrors of Castle Xyr, facedown on the table before picking at your thumbs under the table.

"I'm sorry, Mother. I put those ideas in Rapunzel's head. I realized you were right; I don't want to leave. The world is too dangerous for us. We're safe here," you inhaled the last part as she continued to stare at you.

"You should really pluck your eyebrows, (y/n). They're a bit bushy," she stated. Your face fell.

"I'm just teasing, dear. You're fantastic." Did she even hear you? She must have.

"Listen. You're not strong enough for the outside world," Mother said in a sweet, loving voice. "You're timid, lazy, ignorant, gullible... and clearly obsessive about those damn stars. People out there can't stand obsessive people. You'd never make it on your own."

"Oh," was all you could say.

"Well, I just wanted to say goodbye before I left. I love you," she said.

"I love you more," you responded. She walked over to where Rapunzel was watching from the sidelines.

"A little help, flower?" Mother asked.

"Of course," Rapunzel said, standing up to let her hair down.

As Mother began her descent, she called, "I love so very much, Rapunzel."

"I love you more," Rapunzel said, carefully holding the hair hanging at her shoulders.

"I love you most," you heard faintly.
~~~
When Mother was out of sight, you and Rapunzel climbed onto the roof.

She sighed. "We're never seeing those lights, are we?"

"I... I hope Mother changes her mind. I promised you," you said.

She shrugged. "It's okay. It was never gonna happen anyway," she said, cradling her knees to her chest. You stared down at the forest, nodding. Your eyes widened.

"(Y/n)!" She gasped.

"Get inside! Quickly!" you hissed. You followed her inside, helping her remove the tile that led to a dark, hidden space. She went down the old staircase a few steps and sat down. She looked at you, terrified, as you put the tile back. You looked out the window -- he was climbing the tower. You rushed to the kitchen to look for a knife.

You heard a thump behind you as a satchel landed by the window and two hands could be seen grasping the windowsill. You stepped into the shadows and grabbed the closest thing to you -- which happened to be a frying pan.

A boy appeared, shaking out his hands. "Alone at last," he said, picking up the satchel and slinging it across his shoulder. He had said those three words as if he were... romantically involved with the bag. Mother was right; people were weird. You stepped closer, peering at his features. He had dark hair; it was short, but a little longer in the front. He had a long, straight nose and, strangely, hair growing from his chin. He was tall -- certainly taller than Mother. You took another few steps, accidentally knocking into a chair. You cursed, before seeing surprised eyes connected with yours.

"Uh, wh-" he started. He didn't finish, though, because you hit him over the head with the pan, knocking him out cold. You panted, holding the pan toward him still. You stepped back before calling out, "Rapunzel!"