XIV

Published: July 28th, 2022
A/N: wow! it's been a while! i started writing this chapter in april but gave up halfway through. i'm very embarrassed of this story but i got bored and felt like doing some crappy writing so here you go

The royalty gave the rest of you two weeks to stay in the castle. If there were no attacks, you would have to leave. Meanwhile, Rapunzel was given her old room back; she decided she would be moving once we had left. The king and queen wanted to announce her return when the lanterns went up; on Rapunzel's birthday. They seemed like good people.

But where were you meant to go? Mother would be more than happy to take you back in, you're sure, but your stubbornness had already sunk in. All you can think of is the tavern. You're almost certain that Rapunzel could lend you the money to stay there; she is a princess, after all. Yes, that would be your plan.

After lunch, the king, queen, and princess went off together. Philipp led you, Rainy, and Eugene back to your rooms. Nobody said a word. Now, you are sitting on the toilet (with the lid down) in the bathroom. The door is locked. You came in here to think, but you don't even know what to think about.

A knock comes from the door. "(Y/n), you okay in there?" Rainy asks. A part of you had hoped it was Eugene, and your heart sunk a little.

"Yep!" you chirp before dropping your head into your hands.

"What are you doing?"

"What do you think I'm doing?" you say, trying to hint that you were using the bathroom for bathroom purposes.

"Oh- I'll be going, then." Suddenly, an uncontrollable burst of emotion racks your body. You start sobbing, a sniffly, snotty mess. You realize that you have no plan in life. You need one, and it can't be something anyone else chooses. It has to be you. You don't know what you even want, though -- what even are the options in this kingdom?

Wiping your tears, you regain your composure. You go to the courtyard and find Eugene, who is sitting on a bench with a book in his hand. He's surrounded by flower bushes, and you stand there and look at him for a long moment. His lips are slightly pursed, his eyebrows slightly furrowed. Wisps of dark hair frame his face, and you longed to tuck some behind his ear. Embarrassed at the thought, you feel yourself blush.

You run over to him, spinning around to sit on the bench. You wrap your fingers around the edges and hold yourself stiffly, pushing your lips toward your nose. You watch him pluck a flower and place it on his open page, using the stem as a bookmark. He closes the book with one hand, turning to you smoothly.

"Hi."

"Hi," you say awkwardly.

"What's up?"

"I'm bored," you say truthfully. Rapunzel has been spending all of her time with her parents, and you've been trying to give them their space.

"Mhm." he says without moving a muscle. Suddenly, he sucks in his lips, turns, picks another flower, turns back, and places it behind your ear.

"What?" you laugh, taking the flower into your hand.

"It matches," he says, looking at the petals and then at your face.

"How?" you ask incredulously.

"It's pretty."

"Oh." You feel the blush coming back.

"(Y-" He cuts himself off. Rapunzel skips up to you, eyes bright and dress flowing.

"Guys, being a princess is so cool," she chirps, twirling around to sit between you and Eugene.

You smile politely at her. She tells you all about her day, and soon, the sun is setting. You and Eugene share random glances, each of which making your stomach do a little backflip.

"It's getting cold out," your sister states. "Let's keep talking inside." Bewildered that she could possibly have more to say, you, Eugene, and Rapunzel head up to your room. You sit on the sofa as the girl chatters away. Eugene leaves the room and disappears, and you fall asleep on the soft cushions.

~+~

You wake up to a pitch black room. Someone is snoring softly nearby, and it sounds like Eugene. You hear frantic, hushed voices in the hall. You feel your way through the room, bumping into a few things before reaching the cool metal of the doorknob. You open it to find maids running every which way, and a sleepy, confused haze fogs your mind.

"What's going on?" you ask groggily. Nobody stops to talk to you. You cross the hall to Rapunzel and Rainy's open door, first noticing a strong breeze. The window is wide open and the curtains are caught in the wind, whipping this way and that alarmingly.

The second thing you notice is the smell. Strong, metallic, headache-inducing. It's unwelcoming and suffocating, and it makes you dizzy.

The third thing: Rainy, laying peacefully in the syrupy, half-congealed blood, her abdomen cut wide open in a hurried slash.

The fourth thing: you're sick to your stomach.

The fifth? The maids aren't gathered around the cadaver, no; they're gathered around a piece of paper, written in Rapunzel's hasty script. You push your way through the crowd, ignoring the scoffs and dirty looks.

I got scared. I'm sorry. I'm going to go now. Don't come for me. I love you, (Y/n)

You whip around to the servants, wide-eyed. The king and queen burst into the room, demanding to know what's going on before seeing the scene in front of them.

"It wasn't her!" you screech. You'd expected there to be an uproar, so you'd heightened your volume accordingly. Instead, the room was dead silent, with each set of eyes except for Rainy's trained on you.

"What happened?" the queen asked calmly.

"It wasn't her. It had to have been Mother. It must've been. Rapunzel would never do this! She wouldn't!"

"Get her out of here, she's hysterical," the king ordered.

"We need to find her! We need to get her back!"

"We will discuss this in the morning! First, call the guard. We have a murder on our hands," the king yelped.

"You expect me to sleep?" you shriek.

"Fine! Meet with the guard! Give a statement! It makes no difference!" The king's voice booms through the room. You give a sorrowful look toward Rainy and then decide to go back to your room. It's still dark.

"(Y/n)?" You jump at the voice. "What's going on?"

It's like every emotion you've ever felt has weaved itself into your brain. It hurts, it's heavy, and it's overwhelming. They spill over, exiting through your eyes, and you feel a sob rack through your body. Eugene rushes over to you, holding you as you feel every thread making up your well-being strain and break. This continues until the sun comes up, and at some point, the royalty requests your presence.