V

Published: December 5th, 2021

After a few hours of walking, you happen across a creek. You stopped being able to feel your feet a while ago. They're a bit scratched up at this point. So are Rapunzel's.

"Can we take a break?" she says, collapsing against a rock. You plop down next to her, stomach rumbling.

You're quickly on your toes again.

"We forgot food! How could we forget food?" you screech, running a hand through your hair. The sun is setting in the distance, and it also occurs to you that you have no idea how to start a fire. You start chewing away at your lip, tasting blood.

"Calm down," Rapunzel says, pulling you back down next to her. "People can go three weeks without eating," she continues. You nod. It's so dark now that you can barely see Rapunzel next to you.

"We can go to that tavern," Flynn suggests. "It would take an hour or so, but there's good food." You heard him smile, a crackly sound in the awakening forest.

"There's great food, actually. Lovely people, too!" he says. "Right up you girls' alley."

"We'll go in the morning, then," Rapunzel decides. Your stomach continues to growl. Somehow, in a few minutes, Flynn had found enough wood to start a fire -- and in the dark. The warmth thawed your frozen fingers and toes. The others headed off to sleep, Rapunzel sleeping peacefully under a pile of her hair. You sit with your knees tucked to your chest, your nose resting between them.

Mother would be home in a few days. What would she do? Would she think someone had finally kidnapped Rapunzel and taken you along for the fun of it? Would she think you both were dead inside the tower and that's why Rapunzel's hair wasn't reaching her? She probably wouldn't even care that you're gone, only that Rapunzel is. You rock gently, trying to calm your mind. You're exhausted, your feet hurt, and you're hungry. Rapunzel's hair can probably heal your feet, but you don't think it's a good idea to reveal her power to the stranger laying a few feet away from you.

"Can't sleep?" he asks, sitting up. You lift your head and press your stinging lips together.

"No."

"You could always go back. I'd be willing to let you out of the deal," he says gloomily.

"Would you stop that?" you snap.

"What?" he says, startled.

"Stop with the whole discouraging... thing... where you try to get us to back out of the deal!" you whisper hiss, careful not to wake your sister.

"What is it gonna take to get that satchel back?" he asks, exasperated.

"You heard the deal. It's not so bad," you say, annoyed. You trace lines in the powdery dirt around your feet.

He pauses. "You're awfully fidgety, aren't you?" You immediately freeze and look at him. You shrug.

"I'm not one for details either. Welcome to the club," he jokes, sitting up fully and looking into the fire.

"Why did you steal it?" you ask, meeting his eyes again. He stares at you for a moment before sighing.

"I wanted to sell it," he says simply.

"Why? Is it worth that much?" you ask, looking into the satchel. He scoffs.

"You really don't get out much, do you?"

"Try 'ever'," you reply.

"That's the princess's crown. It's worth more money than... well, than I could ever imagine," he says, shifting next to you -- and the satchel. You cautiously move it to the other side of your body.