X

Published: December 9th, 2021

Somehow, the air is crisper outside of the kingdom. A weight drops into your chest. You were supposed to be inside the walls, not running from your mother. What drove her to violence?

Rapunzel's hair is out of its braid again. It was becoming a mess anyway, and you told her you would braid it back again later. First, you had to figure out a place that you wouldn't be easily found.

"Any ideas?" Eugene asks.

You think before deciding, "The Snuggly Duckling."

"Really?" Rapunzel asked, surprised.

"I love The Snuggly Duckling," Reina says wistfully. "I haven't been in years. My parents used to take me there all the time."

"Maybe it's not so bad," you say, bringing a shoulder toward your face and looking at Eugene.

"We may as well," he says. "But last time I was there, I thought those guys were gonna bash my head in."

"It's a long walk to the tavern -- about three hours or so," Rainy says.

"Good, we'll make it before the midday rush," Eugene says, rolling his eyes. You wonder why Rainy and Eugene are so cold toward each other.

Something about this journey is different -- maybe it's because you're wearing boots this time. Maybe it's the clouds shrouding the sun. But there's almost a daunting feeling in the air; like something really bad is going to happen any moment. You expect to see Mother behind you every time you look over your shoulder. You expect to see palace guards coming to arrest Flynn Rider around every bend. You swear you feel a raindrop on your forehead. Maybe you're just sensing an impending storm.

"I'm glad we have the tarp," Eugene mentions.

"How big is it?" you ask, watching the scattered cobblestones speed up as you come closer to them. Eugene gives you a weird look.

"What, the tarp? Big enough to make a makeshift tent," Rainy says, the end of her remark turning up as if it were a question.

"It's so bleak," Rapunzel says. The rest of you mumble your agreements. "How much longer?"

"It's hard to tell. The sun is covered up. Maybe two hours?" Eugene says, trying to tell the time with his fingers, holding them out to the sky. You look over your shoulder again. Eugene looks over at you, falling in step with you.

"(Y/n)? You okay?" he asks. You turn your head to him before your eyes follow. You realize he said something. You sigh.

"No... yes? I don't know anymore," you say. You slow down until Rapunzel is out of earshot. "My mother has never liked me as much as Rapunzel. I just feel like I'm always second best. It's selfish, but I just want someone to put me first."

"I get that," Eugene says. You huff.

"And now I'm questioning everything. It makes me so mad that Mother is putting Rapunzel through this. I can't even do anything about it. I can't protect her. Mother always told her that the people who would use her powers for their own good would lock her up for only their benefit. But isn't that exactly what Mother did?" you whisper the last part. "I feel like even I was a pawn, like I only exist to keep Rapunzel content at home.

"But then, I wonder if I'm looking at it all wrong. Maybe Mother has a really good reason for trying to hurt you and Rainy. Maybe she really did love me, and I'm just such an awful daughter that I couldn't see it," you finish. Suddenly, it hits you that Eugene is listening to you. Your head snaps up.

"Oh- I'm sorry. I must sound so pathetic," you quickly say.

"No, you don't. It's refreshing to hear what's happening in your head instead of trying to figure it out on my own," he says genuinely. You laugh bitterly.