VI

Published: December 5th, 2021

"How did that just happen?" Flynn asks, turning to face Rapunzel.

"Um... I have magic hair that glows when I sing?" she says uncertainly.

"How did it heal her?" he clarifies, gesturing to you.

"I don't really know," Rapunzel says. "It's always been able to do that. Please, don't be scared of me."

"Are you kidding?" he says, a smile creeping onto his face. You release a breath you didn't realize you were holding.

"That could've gone a lot worse," you mutter.

"So you have to sing? Or can you just speak the song?" he inquires.

"You've gotta sing it," she says. Flynn continues interviewing her about her powers and you fall behind, feeling a little left out. Of course people would like Rapunzel better. As Mother always said, she's special. You're not. She's the one with the powers, so you'll always be everyone's second choice -- if even that. Suddenly, a realization hits you like a ton of bricks; Mother only says "I love you most" to Rapunzel. I will not cry. I will not cry, you tell yourself. You focus on not stepping on Rapunzel's hair.

After a few minutes of trying to convince yourself that your mother loves you, Flynn notices how quiet you've been. He falls back to walk next to you.

"You good, killer?" he asks. "You look kinda down."

"What? No, I'm good. Are you?" you say calmly, tucking the frying pan under your arm.

"I'm okay," he says, looking over at you expectantly. You move your gaze to Rapunzel ahead of you, who conveniently was looking over her shoulder to see what was happening. You give her a little wave. She smiles and continues on.

"You sure?" he asks again. You sigh.

"What do you want?" you ask, still watching the back of Rapunzel's head.

"Nothing. Well, the satchel, but that's not what I mean," he says, furrowing his eyebrows.

You swallow. "Have you seen the lights before?"

"Hm? Oh, yeah. Plenty of times,"

"What are they like?" you ask hopefully, glad to have changed the subject.

"You'll just have to see," he says, a smile in his voice. Your heart leaps; he's finally accepted the deal. You smile too.

"So, are you and Rapunzel related?" he implores.

"We're sisters," you say. Isn't it obvious?

He scoffs. "I can see the resemblance." You can't tell whether he's being sarcastic. He changes the subject again. "How long have you wanted to see the lanterns?"

"Goodness. Forever?" you try. "She's turning thirteen. For the last... I don't know, eight birthdays it's all she's wanted. It's all I want for her. How old are you?"

"Nineteen."

"Really? You do not look like a teenager."

"Because one year makes such a difference," he rolls his eyes. "What about you?"

"Seventeen."

"Really? You do not look like a teenager," he mocks.

"Guys! I found the path!" Rapunzel says excitedly. Just ahead, you spot a cobbled path leading through the densely wooded area.

"So we should go left, right?" Flynn asks.

"Excuse me?" Rapunzel says, confused.

"What?" he states, taken aback.