Chapter 10: "No, I'm sorry. Kylie's not in right now."

I returned to Camp Juniper's campsites to find that my tent was already set up. Somebody had done it for me. Who though? You guessed it. Uncle Bart.

He approached me and patted my shoulder, saying, "You're tent is all set up, Kylie! I went ahead and put your stuff in there. All you have to do now is get settled. Run when you get into the tent, though, because there're mosquitoes out here!" He clenched his fists and hopped up and down.

I narrowed my eyebrows and asked, "You don't say?" Sniffing the mysterious flowers, I pushed by Uncle Bart and headed towards my small, one person tent, but before I could enter it, I heard the voice of Mom.

"Howdy, Kylie! You're finally back!" I turned, and my eyes landed on her. Mom came within reach of Uncle Bart, followed closely by Aunt Jessie, and she asked me, "Well?" and placed her hands on her hips, "How are the bathrooms? What's your rating, and please be specific about it too." I rolled my eyes. Mom really had to hear it all. It was at this point that I knew she too was starting to get a little excited about the trip. I still wasn't excited. Keep in mind that I was still trapped in the wilderness with just adults.

I sighed and explained to Mom, "They have flushable toilets. And surprisingly, showers." All female members of Camp Juniper approached me and leaned in to hear the explanation better. "I gave them a 4." I continued, "The reasons behind why I did so are equitable. Number 1: the bathroom smells like latrine, so pinch your nose when you go inside, and Number 2: bugs are buzzing around inside it. Thought the bugs out here were bad? Just go in the bathroom. There you go." Aunt Jessie, Aunt Lydia, Aunt Delia, and Mom were all relieved to hear that the bathrooms had flushable toilets and showers. As I said before, men, showers and flushable toilets are women's best friends. Want to keep your woman? Make sure she has a shower and flushable toilet.

To me, Mom said, "I don't care if the bathrooms smell like latrine and have bugs buzzing around inside them. As long as they have showers, my life is saved."

I nodded and said, "Excuse me." My eyes had landed on my father who was messing around with a lantern at the picnic table.

I started to approach them, but I was forced to stop when suddenly, Mom asked, "Kylie, where did you get those flowers? They're beautiful." You guessed it. She would eventually notice the flowers, and she did.

"Oh." I said, and I cleared my throat, "These." I turned to her and held out the mysterious flowers, "I, uh, found them."

"Where?" Aunt Delia asked, "I didn't see any flowers coming into the park and campsite." She reached for the flowers, but I pulled them away from her hand.

"Na hah, hah." I said, "I found these flowers, Aunt Delia. If you want some flowers, find you own."

"All right, then, I will," she spoke, and she left the gathering and started to look around.

I sighed and again said, "Excuse me." Turning on my heel, I left Mom, Uncle Bart, and the female members of Camp Juniper, and started towards my father again. I sighed. I wanted to spend some time with Dad, but of course, he had too many things going on at once, so he didn't have time to.

         I stopped at him and asked, "Father?" in a soft voice.

"Whoa!" he yelled, and he jumped. It was as if he didn't recognize my own voice. This was how bad it got. All these adults started to ignore and forget about me. Dad, who was wearing his own bug net over his head, turned and squinted at me. Finally, he said, "Kylie!" and I nodded.

"Yeah. Um, Father, I was wondering if... Well..." I didn't get to finish because suddenly, Dad's phone rung, and he jumped again. Reaching into his pocket, he pulled out his own iPhone and checked his collar ID. "Is that for you?" I asked.