ONESHOT: The Play

Applause rang in your ears as you too clapped for your wonderful friend, Neil Perry. This was his first play, "A Midsummer's Night Dream". The curtains closed as you turned to your group of friends. Charlie hugged you and exclaimed,"Y/N, wasn't that amazing! He's good!" You nodded and hugged back, continuing to applaud.

"Alrighty fellows, let's go out into the lobby to possibly get a chance at conversing with such a star."Mr. Keating instructed. You followed, gushing about Neil's performance with anyone who heard. The lobby was packed with people trying to leave or congratulate the actors. Your eyes scanned relentlessly through the crowd, to try and see if Neil was around

You continued to search the room, and you were met with a pair of cold, hateful eyes. It was Mr. Perry, that son of a bitch. For as long as you knew Neil, you knew his dad was behind most of your dearest friends anxiety and fear. Mostly sadness. You hated his dad, along with the rest of the dead poets hating him as well.

Mr. Perry appeared again, as the door to the auditorium burst open, and Neil was basically being hauled off by his dad. Neil looked so scared.

Outside, the snow fell on your head and blanketed you. Mr. Keating got to Neil, congratulating him.

  " Neil! You have the gift!" Keating announced. The boys were patting Neil on the back. Oddly, Neil was silent. Mr. Perry muttered to Keating about his son, sounding very angry. Neil looked so depressed, and embarrassed about the whole situation.

"Get into the car, Neil." Mr. Perry ordered. Neil had tears in his eyes, and your heart raced in your chest. There was something deeper going on, and you could feel it.

Neil looked from his father to his friends, and his wise teacher who had taught him how to express himself. It was time to stand up.

" No, Father. I'm not the perfect, practical son you want. How about asking me what I want first? How about asking if I am okay? You're only happy when I'm "succeeding" things to your standards. I can't live like this. It's my last year at Welton and I'm almost 18. I don't have to put up with this shit. I'm gonna spend my year with my friends and doing things I want to do." Neil declared, articulating every word he said confidently.

His father's face turned red against the lights of the building. People cast looks of awkwardness towards the scene. The boys were appalled, mouths agape. You never thought Neil Perry looked more handsome.

"Fine. You want to make this choice? You gotta live by it. You're no son of mine." Mr. Perry spat. Neil smirked and shrugged. "Fine by me." He responded.

Mr. Perry drove away, snow skittering from his tires as he tore off into the cold, bitter night.

"Holy shit, Perry! You stood up to your old man! Alright!" Charlie declared. Some of the boys cheered and some still were shocked. Mr. Keating had a look of wonder in his eyes of true proudness. Neil was no longer trapped in his fathers web, he would be free to live a life of happiness and peace.

Mr. Keating drove home while you and the boys walked. Neil and Todd walked on either side of you, while Charlie,Cameron,Gerard, and Meeks took the front. They were being loud, like teenage boys were. But you didn't care. This was your family and the night was full of joy. Joy that Neil was no longer cowering to his father.

Comfortable silence filled the walk. But soon was broken. " Guys, y'all are my best friends. I really love you all so much. I'm so proud of you Neil, and I-I don't know." You choked up. What had come over you to make you say this? You didn't know, but it needed to be let out. This group of people helped you through your hardest times.

The boys turned toward you. Would they call you sappy for saying all that? For a moment, a self conscious feeling sprang on you.

Then, the boys all smiled. " Y/N, we're glad you're friends with us. You make us happy and we love you." Meeks said, all the boys muttering in agreement. "Tonight could have gone terrible. But, through you and everyone else's support, I'm okay. I'm fine. I promise." Neil spoke, hugging you. All the boys gathered around and embraced you in a group hug. It was a perfect moment.

" Now, how about we go to the cave and get out poetry on?" Charlie joked. The group cringed, but smiled nonetheless. Laughs and warmth filled the night as snow fell. You felt loved and happy.

an: I've been gone for a millennia. sorry if that was cheesy. plz drop some ideas. luv y'all