Chapter 3 A Blind Date

At Mugil's Residence in Chennai:

Janaki, Mugil's mother, was busy preparing for the arrival of her son. Mugil and his secretary, Jason, were on their way to Chennai on that particular day. Mugil brought Jason along to help him handle both on-site and off-shore activities. When Mugil entered their Mansion, Janaki couldn't suppress her excitement. She hurried up to Mugil and hugged him tightly. She then turned to Jason and greeted him. Jason was visiting India for the first time.

"How are you doing, Jassy boy?" Yes, that was Jason's nickname, as kept by Janaki. Even though they had spoken over the phone multiple times, this was Janaki's first encounter with him in person. She inquired further.

"Jassy boy, are you married or single?"

Mugil, who was watching all of this, became annoyed and pleaded.

"At the very least, Mom, you should leave him alone." Don't tell me you'll find him a partner. At least allow him to enjoy his bachelorhood."

"Wow, great idea," Janaki exclaimed, stunning Mugil.

"I'll find a lovely girl for you, Jassy boy." She further added.

It would be an understatement to say that Jason was astonished. He was thrilled by the idea of marrying a desi girl.

"Auntie, do you think that's possible?" Jason asked leaving both Mugil and Janaki in surprise.

"God, you and your Jassy guy, leave me," Mugil said, muttering something under his breath as he walked to his room.

"Let him be, you refresh and come dear, we can have breakfast," Janaki said Jason kindly.

Janaki was treating Jason like royalty. Jason, who used to be afraid of standing in front of Mugil, was relaxed and enjoying his meal at his boss's dining table.

Mugil cleared his throat to draw his secretary's and mother's attention.

"Jason, we have to be in the office by 11 o'clock," Mugil said.

"This isn't right, Mugil. You've only come today, so relax. You can take care of your activities tomorrow." To say Janaki was irritated is an understatement.

"Mom, I have a client meeting today, therefore we have to be there at all costs."

"I hope you came here for business and not to meet me."

"Mom, please try to understand." We have branches all over the world. Only in India will I be able to meet these folks."

"OK, whatever you want to call it, please arrive at Hotel Grand Palace by 6 p.m. "We're going to meet someone." Janaki squealed.

"Please don't put me in an awkward situation, Mom," Mugil pleaded.

"Believe me when I say that this is all for your benefit; After that, I'm not going to force you."

Mugil was well aware of his mother's antics. Words will never be enough to win her over.

"All right, this is it. But don't hold your hope for any guarantees from me." Mugil dashed out of the home, with Jason behind him, without waiting for his mother's reply.

Mugil entered the Grand Palace hotel's porch as promised. It was a high-end hotel in a posh location. He dialled his mother's number and asked.

"Mom, I'm here; Where are you?"

Janaki was nowhere to be seen. Mugil had a feeling that something wasn't quite right, and he was certain his mother was up to something.

"I'm sorry, Mugil, I'm stuck with my friend." Please walk to the table that has been reserved for you and introduce yourself to Aarthi, my friend's daughter"

"Mom, I promised you as I thought you would be here. As You can't make it here, let's cancel this. I can't meet anyone, please."

"Mugil, only this time. Just have dinner with that girl and talk for a while."

Mugil was caught up in a predicament that he didn't want to be in. He didn't have a choice. He muttered, clenching his teeth.

"Okay, okay. Don't expect anything from me. I'll just say hi and come."

Mugil walked into the VIP dining area and noticed two ladies seated at a table. He can only see the back of one woman while he can see the face of the other. He was perplexed for a while, "Mom asked me to meet a woman," he reflected, "yet two women were seated at the reserved table."

Mugil cleared his throat as he approached the table. The two ladies shifted their gaze to him. For a brief moment, Mugil and Riya were both startled. Never in his wildest dreams did he expect to encounter Riya here, let alone on his blind date.

Riya tried with all her might not to cry in front of him, but she failed horribly, and her eyes were clouded. As Aarthi would notice, she lowered her face.

Mugil, who had always maintained an emotionless demeanour, could no longer hide his feelings. He stood there as if he had been rooted in the ground. When Aarthi stood up and introduced herself, both of them snapped out of their trance. She extended her hand for a handshake.

"Hi, my name is Aarthi, and this is Riya, my Boss cum friend."

Mugil, who was staring at Riya the entire time, did not extend his hand. He settled onto the seat across from her with a friendly 'Hi.'

The only thing that could be heard was Aarthi's voice. She continued to speak and tell facts about herself. But Mugil can't even hear a single word. His mind was screamed with so many emotions on the inside. He yearned to take Riya's hands in his and cry his heart out. But, when reality set in, he couldn't deny that he was on a blind date with Aarthi, which his own mother had planned.

Aarthi, who had been nervous earlier in the day, had not expected this to happen. She was worried when her parents requested her to meet Mugil in the evening. She didn't know why, but her heart was telling her that she wasn't ready to marry at this time. Her parents didn't even try to persuade her to make a decision. Aarthi was their entire world as she was their only child. When Mugil's mother Janaki requested Aarthi's hand in marriage for her son, all they asked was for Aarthi to meet the boy once. Aarthi thought it would be uncomfortable to meet a stranger alone, so she asked Riya to accompany her. That's how Riya came into the picture.

Mugil's charms drew Aarthi, who had come with no expectations. She decided to give it a shot. But she never anticipated Mugil would be a silent mess in this world. This fueled her interest, and she became curious about him.

"Mr.Karthikeyan, tell me about yourself." He was questioned by Aarthi.

Mugil had no desire to respond, yet he did so to ease the situation.

"I live and work in the United Kingdom; I'm on vacation here." That was all Mugil can tell for that time.

Every minute, the air in the atmosphere became thicker. Riya continued to tap her foot, unsure of what to do. They received the food they had ordered. Except for the tingling sound of the dishes, there was perfect silence for a while. Riya swiftly completed her food and excused herself as if she were on the phone, standing at a safe distance. She released her breath which she was holding for a while.

"Am I jealous of them?" So, he moved on and came to this blind date."

"When he proposed to you and you rejected him down. You're implying that he's moved on." Her inner voice mocked at her. Aarthi's voice shattered her train of thought.

"Riya, Mugil is giving us a ride."

Riya is at a loss for words. She composed herself and replied.

"You guys keep going; I need to go to the shop." Telling that she stood at a distance like a statue.

Mugil was perplexed as to why she was avoiding him. But he lacked the courage to persuade her to join them.

Aarthi was so preoccupied with saving Mugil's phone number on her phone that she missed their silent conversation. Aarthi followed Mugil to the car after bidding her goodbye. Riya's heart was heavy with unknown emotions all of a sudden. Her eyes refused to believe that he had left the place with Aarthi and stood there for who knows how long.