Chapter 8 Weekend Plan

After visiting Riya and Anu at the boutique Janaki returned home with Jason happily. She got startled when Mugil asked,

"Where have you guys been? I was waiting."

"Mugil, you came early today" Janaki inquired nervously. She signalled Jason not to open his mouth.

"I went shopping and took Jason with me for help."

Mugil can smell something odd from their looks. But he ignored her and went inside.

"Phew... that was close," Janaki exclaimed dramatically.

Later at the dinner table, Janaki slowly started,

"Mugil, when are you planning to visit that hilltop hotel?"

"Might be after Pongal. I have some work here."

"Can we go to our hometown for Pongal?" she asked meekly.

"No, Mom. You, please carry on. "

Mugil's responses were all short and to the point, leaving Janaki with no room for further discussion.

After thinking for a while, Janaki again started.

"You don't have to come to the village, but might we at least go to a temple this weekend?" I have a ritual duty to fulfil. I had prayed to give jaggery to a Krishna temple as thulabaram. Let us finish that this time before you leave."

"Do you think I'm a baby to give thulabaram, Mom?" Mugil panicked.

A/N- Thulabharam is a Hindu ritual. In the ritual, the devotee sits on one side of a weighing balance. The other side of the weighing balance is filled with materials he/she wishes to offer. The devotee offers materials of his/her weight or more. Normally people offer sugar, jaggery, sacred leaves etc.

"No, Mugil, don't say that; it will offend God." Is Saturday okay with you? "Leave it to me to make the arrangements." She enquired.

Mugil was well aware that he couldn't persuade his mum to change her mind. She would be adamant about her plans once she had made up her mind.

"All right, do whatever you want." He quickly finished his meal and left the scene.

Janaki was mumbling and slapping her cheeks, "Krishna, forgive me for lying."

Jason, who was standing there witnessing everything, was taken aback.

He thought to himself, "She's really something."

After dinner, everyone at Dev's house was watching television. Anu pretended to be a weak signal and excused herself to the balcony when she received a call from Janaki.

"Hello, Auntie," she whispered.

"Anu, I had something planned." Is it possible for you to take Dev to the Krishna temple in the suburbs this Saturday? I persuaded Mugil to make a thulabaram offering.

"Sure, Auntie. Let me make up some story and make Dev agree. I'll confirm with you once the plan is set." Anu promised.

"Thank you, dear. We need to help these guys realize how close they are." Janaki poured out her grievance.

Riya went to MD Enterprises the next morning. She came in her two-wheeler as she didn't have much to carry. She arrived early, and since it was before hours, only security and a few people were present. She had received the guest card the day before, so she entered the office and proceeded to Mugil's cabin. His room was being cleaned by the cleaning lady. Riya walked in and introduced herself to her before beginning to arrange the flowers. It was eight o'clock in the morning. She gathered the remaining flowers and headed to the conference room after she was satisfied with her work. The door was opened from the outside just as she was about to open it.

Mugil, with all his charm, stood there. To say he was taken aback is an understatement. He didn't expect Riya to come to the flower arrangement in person. He assumed she would assign the task to either Aarthi or Raj.

Riya, too, had no intention of coming here. But she did so to show that she was unconcerned about his presence. Her mind rushed back to yesterday's chat with Janaki after seeing Mugil, and she came to a standstill. When Mugil remarked, "Nice arrangement," she was taken aback.

Riya responded "Thank you" and bolted from the scene without giving him another chance to speak.

"Let me see how far you can run from me," Mugil pondered. Mugil was perplexed about his own situation. He came to Chennai to repair the relationship with Dev "However, what am I doing now?" he wondered. When he first saw Riya with Aarthi at the restaurant, all of his plans were blown.

Meanwhile, Anu was wracking her brains for a way to get Dev to that Krishna temple by fabricating some lies. Later that evening, she asked Dev,

"Are you free this weekend, Dev?"

"Oh, darling, I'm always available to you." "Order me, and I'll make room in my calendar." He responded in a flirtatious manner.

"Anu, keep your grip tight; he's flirting." "You're going to tell a lie," she prayed in her head.

"I was thinking about putting a tonsure to Shree in a local temple." We can go if you are available." She gave a short smile.

"We had put already right?. Isn't that enough?"

"Yeah, but if we put it on regularly, the hair will grow well." She managed to tell.

"Oh, which temple, you are thinking of."

"Nearby, there is a Krishna temple. We can go there." Anu released her breath which she was holding for a while.

"What Krishna temple? Tonsure is usually put in Murugan temple right?" Dev asked his doubt.

"Why this hubby of mine is questioning too much today," Anu was cursing her situation.

"Umm. All God is one, Dev. We can put it in any temple." Anu feigned a smile.

"Ok, if you say so. We'll go. But my little baby will cry which is something I despise." He sulked.

"I promise this is the final one, as we would complete three tonsures."

A/N- One of the most significant Hindu customs is to shave one's head, also known as tonsuring. The concept of birth and rebirth is important to Hindus. The first time a child's head is shaved at the Mundan ceremony is thought to be to free him or her from the bonds of the previous birth. Shaving the child's head is a sign that he or she is about to embark on a new life. As a reason, it is a significant rite of passage. For a child, it is usually done at odd times, like 1 or 3.

Anu thanked all of the Gods in the universe for helping her in dealing with the situation.