Day One of The Round Table

Maddie - who is trying

Miss Bennett says we will try it for a week. See how it goes. She says she has already asked some other students in seventh grade to mix it up too and join the "Round Table Revolution".

After I get my plate of two tacos and a yogurt parfait, I look around. I do see some different groups sitting together, but they seem to be more like friends sitting together with other friends. Miss Bennett may think she has mixed them up because she has cheerleaders sitting with kids who like to wear black, but the tables are long and each group is sitting on their opposite end. Funny, I guess Miss Bennett didn't think about the rectangle tables in the cafeteria. This revolution is going to take more work.

Unfortunately, the table we are assigned to is round. It is the table normally reserved for lunch detention, but it is too early in the school year for it to be occupied. I am getting some funny looks from kids who must think I am in trouble because I am never in trouble.

There is already a small boy at the table named Juanito. He just arrived from Mexico a week ago and does not speak a word of English. Great, he will be easy to make friends with. I do not speak Spanish.

After we sit down, Shoshone whispers to me, "Dang girl, it is quiet in here. It's like a funeral or something."

She is right. The cafeteria is not as noisy, but this is probably because kids are getting used to their new seats. At least the teaching assistant, Mrs. Branson, who has lunch duty and is chronically hateful and some think allergic to laughter, is happy. I hear her tell Miss Bennett, "I love your idea, Miss Bennett. The students seem so happy and well-behaved today. I think we need to do this mix-up all year."

While Miss Bennett nods her agreement, she has a look on her face that tells me, I need to try a little harder to meet my neighbor. I turn to a boy who just sat down. I do not know him so I offer my hand and say, just like I have practiced, "Hello, my name is Maddie. What's yours?"

He says, "My name is Timmy, and I am not shaking your hand. Over 90 percent of people do not wash their hands sufficiently after they go to the bathroom."

I have not been to the bathroom today, and I always wash my hands.

When I just look at him, Timmy adds, "Only two in three use soap."

I wipe my hand on my shirt. He moves to the opposite side of the table like I have dirty, germy hands.

"Well," says Shoshone, "Nice job making a new friend. Next time, wash your filthy hands." She giggles.

Timmy - who is showing good manners

I knew I said some bad manners. Miss Bennett does not hear me say bad manners because she is not close enough, so I turn to the person on my right to make conversation and be polite. It is the smelly kid. I say, loudly so Miss Bennett can hear me this time practicing my good manners, "Hello, my name is Timmy. I do not like bed bugs."

The kid just looks at me and says, "Josh." He does not try to shake my hand or make conversation back. How rude.

Miss Bennett is right - some of the kids at this school need some help. I can see I have a lot of work to do, so I try to make more polite conversation to Josh even louder this time. "You do not stink anymore." He just looks at me so I add, "You are welcome."

"Thanks," he says only it sounds like "Thanks?" with a raise in his voice at the end, like a question. I know the difference because raising my voice at the end of a question was one of my speech goals last year. I met that goal, so now I don't sound like a robot. I guess Josh is practicing his conversation goals too, so I ask him a question.