PE Class - later that day

Brett

I am in deep doo-doo. In trouble. The worst kind. I am madly in love with a girl. A girl I once had, but took for granted, and now I have nothing to offer her. I am a lost soul. The worst kind - one without a girlfriend.

I love Amelia Hudson so much. Before, when she was my girl, I didn't think about her at all this way. I was an athlete then and on the team. I was the best, and so everybody thought about me because I was the one who Coach went to when he needed a game changer. Everybody wanted to be around me. I was the best player, the star of the show, but now, I am off the team and sitting on the sidelines in my favorite class - PE. I can't even shine here anymore because of my broken arm. How am I going to get my girl back?

I am sitting here with my new "best friend", Carson. He is faking a stomach ache that he says he has had all day. I know this is not true because I saw him eat three hot dogs at lunch. Our PE teacher, Miss Haynes, says she is going to call his mom. She says this about twice a week because Carson always tries to get out of PE. Carson is a terrible athlete. He is always picked last. Usually, I don't care if he plays or not, but now I understand because if I could play, I would be the new picked last. We are a sorry pair of losers.

Miss Haynes tells us to walk laps since we can't participate. Carson complains, but she mentions his mom again, and he gets to it. We are soon joined by Mia who "forgets" her tennis shoes every single day. She is almost as bad an athlete and actor as Carson.

We are all three walking at the same speed because I am walking like I have concrete shoes. There's no reason to hurry.

Carson reminds me of my misery by saying, "Hey, isn't' it great? Our plans for the dance are perfect. Amelia Hudson is something else. She is brilliant."

"Yeah, brilliant," I say.

"Well, I know you broke up with her, but she is still pretty great," says Carson.

I try to play it cool, so I say, "Yeah, I did, but now I am thinking about getting her back."

Mia, who is not minding her business, says, "Too bad, Brett. I know you broke up with her and all, but Amelia's last day at our table is tomorrow. I heard her tell her friends. She said that one more day of planning the fund-raiser and decorations for the dance, and she is out. "

Mia

Amelia broke up with Brett by text. Everyone knows it, so why is he lying about it? He is a jerk so I tell him about Amelia's soon-to-be exit from our Round Table. Good riddance, I hate that girl. When I say she won't be back after tomorrow, I wait for Brett's usual reaction, but it does not come. No anger or I don't care attitude. He just hangs his head like he is depressed or something. I feel bad now. Miss Bennett is right. I am too busy being in my own world - I need to pay attention to others.

Brett must really like Amelia, although I have no idea why. She is beautiful and smart and perfect in about every way, which makes me hate her even more.

Still, I feel bad for Brett, who I never really liked until today, so I say, "You know, maybe we can get her to stay. Give her a few more problems to solve. Maybe, make her feel like she is one of us."

"How?" says Brett.

"Well, you know, she did win an office in the loser election."

"Yeah, I was wondering about that," says Carson. "How'd that happen?"

"Maybe, she's a loser too," I say. "She just don't know it yet."

Why do you think Mia is planning to keep Amelia around?