Amelia Hudson - Vice President

Shoshone

Amelia Hudson is the most popular girl in seventh grade. She may even be the most popular in the whole school, including the eighth grade girls. She is rich. Her daddy owns the local Chevrolet dealership. She is connected. He mom is on the school board. And, she is beautiful and talented. Amelia Hudson is the reigning, Little Miss Southern Belle Princess.

Amelia sings like the pop star she is planning on being one day. We all know it. She will be famous one day and so her current fan club - the rest of the seventh grade - worship her like she will be thanking us at the awards show next year or the next. We all want to be her friend, including me. Amelia Hudson is fabulous and perfect.

I just forgot how stuck up and bossy she can be.

So, it was my idea to invite Amelia to the table. I thought we needed her help. This idea was a lot like the loser election idea. In theory, a good idea, but in reality, not such a good idea. In fact, inviting Amelia to join our Round Table table was quickly becoming a complete disaster.

Maddie

Holy cow. Amelia Hudson. Amelia Hudson sitting right here at my table. I want to pinch myself to see if it is really happening. The most popular girl in the whole school is sitting right next to me, and I am so excited I could pee myself. She is as beautiful up close as she is from across the room. She is so beautiful she looks all glowy and sparkly. Her golden, long curly hair frames her face just like a picture frame. I wonder how she did that? Wonder how she got her fingernails so perfect?

I do a Josh and sit on my hands so Amelia Hudson won't see my bitten off fingernails. How embarrassing. I hope she does not notice. I try to think of something to say to her. Something she would like to hear. Something that won't be stupid or immature.

I got nothing. I don't know what to say, so I just smile at her.

Josh

So fake. Amelia Hudson is so fake. She is not the prettiest girl in the whole school. Not even the prettiest in seventh grade. I know. I got eyes, I can see. I wish that Maddie would quit trying to get her attention. It makes me sick. Maddie is so pretty. Why does she care what so-fake Amelia thinks about her?

People think she is sweet, but Amelia is mean. When I was little she told me she could not play with me. She said, "I can't play with you, you are dirty. I don't like you."

I don't like her either.

Carson

"Welcome," I say to the most beautiful creature on earth. "I am Carson. I think we were friends in third grade. Do you remember me?" 

Amelia looks at me and shakes her head no.

"It's ok," I say. "You probably have lots of friends. Hard to remember them all."

She nods yes.

"I am Carson. The new seventh grade student council treasurer. You are the new vice president. Thanks for joining us today."

Amelia Hudson just looks at me like I have food on my face or something.

I heard she was nice, but I am not so sure how friendly she really is. Maybe she is shy?

Before I can think of anything else to say my friend, Brett, sits down beside me.

"Hey," he says to me, "What's up?"

"Hey Brett," I say. "How is your day going?"

"Just great," he says. He nods at Amelia who nods back.

Brett is in a good mood today. At least he is acting friendly today, unlike Amelia Hudson who is ignoring me and everyone else. Well, everyone except Timmy who does not know he is being ignored.

Timmy

I am using my manners so I say, "I am Timmy, and you are Amelia Hudson."

Amelia Hudson does not speak back, so I continue to be polite. I say. "You are beautiful, and you are a princess and a vice president. I am Timmy, and this is my best friend, Josh."

Josh is still working on his polite goal, and he does not say - "Hello, I am Josh". He needs more practice, so I try to model for him.

"My best friend Josh used to be the stinky kid, but he smells nice now. He also does not have lice, but he did one time."

Amelia Hudson looks at Josh and smiles.

"He does not have lice now, so don't worry," I say. Just so Amelia Hudson will know how great Josh is, I add, "Josh is great. He is my best friend." Josh still does not say anything so I add to help him out, "Josh is working on manners."

"Nice to meet you Josh," says Amelia. She is polite.

Josh finally decides to show some manners. He speaks to Amelia Hudson. He says, "Dang, my head itches today." Josh scratches his hair like he has a flock of fleas in there.

Brett

I say, "Well, Josh sure needs to work on his manners," because it makes me feel better when I make fun of someone. Besides, I am trying to make sure Amelia knows that I am not upset by her being here. I don't want her to know she hurt me bad. I am going to act like I don't care she is here by acting normal. I'll make it up to Josh later.

Amelia smiles one of her dazzling smiles - all dimples and super straight white teeth. She likes to make fun of people too. It is one of the things we have in common - making fun of people. It is fun. We give people funny nicknames and laugh about things they wear to school and the way they act. At least, we used to. We used to make a game of it. It was our secret game.

For now, Josh is giving me a nasty look. I say, "Just kidding," and hold my good hand up.

He does not say anything back, but he sits on his one good hand. Josh does not know how to take a joke.

Mia

I don't like Amelia Hudson at all. She looks at my lunch, and I know she is judging it. When I blow my pepper, she backs up like I have just spit on her. She makes a big deal about wiping her area and her lap off, like I blew pepper all the way over there.

I hate Amelia Hudson. I hate, hate, hate her.

Amelia

Someone save me from these creepy people. One of them just blew pepper all over everybody's food. One of them keeps smiling at me like she is in love with me. One of them is loud and keeps talking about how bad everyone else's manners are, though he is quite rude. One of them is cute, but he used to be the stinky kid, and he is scratching his head like he has lice. One boy is way too friendly and thinks I know who he is, and one is loud-mouth-my-brothers-are-the-kings-of-high school-Shoshone. One is my ex, Brett who, thank goodness, I got away from. He was always making fun of people and wanting me to join in, and I see he has not changed. And worst of all, one of them is a tiny little Mexican boy who keeps saying in a scary, deep man voice, "I am the president. I am the president."

Juanito

My people are again not listening to me. I am trying to get a word in sideways, but everyone is talking to or smiling at my vice president, Amelia Hudson. I must remind them who is in charge. I keep saying "I am the president. I am the president."

But nobody hears me. 

Maybe, inviting Amelia Hudson to The Round Table was not such a good idea.