Pool Dance

Carson

I get to the dance early because I am nervous. Nervous no one will come and nervous because it is the first dance of the year, and girls will be there. Do I look all right? Does my hair look stupid? Will anyone want to dance with me? Will anyone swim? Will I look like the goofy nerd I am? Does everyone hate me?

I am so nervous, I do not notice her until she says, "Hey, open the door Carson," and a pretty girl is talking to me. It is Mia all dressed up in a light shimmery, pink dress that makes her look like a baby doll. She has her hair up on her head like she had it done at the beauty place. She is a princess tonight. And she is talking to me.

Mia says, "Can you give me a hand? We're running behind, and there is already a bunch of people outside. This is my mom. Mom, this is my very good friend, Carson."

"Hello," says mom, "Mia has told me so much about you, Carson."

Very good friend? So much about me? I have a very good friend, and she looks like a princess. Mia whispers to me after her mom goes on in. "Carson, if you don't mind, can you dance with me at least once tonight? It would make my mom happy."

I'll dance with you all night - I am thinking, but instead I say real cool like, "Sure."

I feel like a winner tonight.

Mia

My mom helps me set up refreshments. We have gallons of pink lemonade punch, 250 cake squares, two vegetable trays because mom says some people like to eat healthy even at a dance, and about 18 bags of sour cream and onion chips. I know. Everyone's breath is gonna stink, but I told mom that the other kids love them. She was so happy to help me. I told her she could stay for a little while, but then she has to go.

Carson is looking quite handsome tonight. He has so much product in his hair that I feel certain he is not planning on swimming. If he asks me to dance more than the one time, I am going to say yes, yes, yes.

Shoshone

We been here a whole hour and it is packed, but nobody is swimming or dancing. They are all just standing around looking at each other. It is a typical middle school dance. Boring and stupid, but I guess it is ok because at least people came. I try to break the ice by pulling on Brett's hand until he joins me on the dance floor. He does not look happy with me, but at least he dances.

I feel like everyone is staring at me, including bossy 'ol Amelia Hudson. Oh well, who cares, I look fabulous, and I am a great dancer.

Maddie

My best friend Shoshone is in the middle of a mostly deserted dance floor dancing, and everyone is looking at her. I am sure that she is loving it. She is a great dancer, and she looks fabulous. I wish I could dance like her. I would be so embarrassed to be out there right now.

My beautiful, bald boyfriend says, "Let's go get some punch."

We walk towards the refreshments, and the next thing I know, Josh is dancing his way towards Shoshone and Brett.

Oh Mylanta! Before I have a chance to back up, I am dancing too. It is a lot of fun. It is fantastic. I love it. I feel like the most beautiful girl in the world, and then Josh says to me, "Hey, did you know that you are the most beautiful girl here tonight?"

I say, "Well, sure I am."

Timmy