bunny

"I have a question. For you."

It's the weekends and the kids are back in the river, swimming in it without caring too much about the chemicals. I'm walking back and forth behind Viktor while he tinkers with the small bunny toy that I helped build by bringing him any materials I can get from Piltover. It took him weeks to make and now he's almost finished with it, the only thing he needed is a tinted glass he can put on its eyes.

"What is it?"

I didn't actually have a question, I just wanted an excuse to hear him talk. Ever since we met just a few months ago, I realized how soothing it was to listen to his voice, it was boyish and accented, every time he speaks about his inventions I always make sure I'm quiet and listening.

"When you...if....if you-okay, if you could have everything you ever needed right now...if you took...alright. If you were given a chance to choose...no, wait."

He chuckled, muttering a small 'what' as I tapped my finger on my chin, working my brain to think of a proper question.

"If you were given a chance to create...if you were. Hold on. If you can create anything you want without having to worry about the materials...what would you do...what would you do?"

The grin on his face stayed, trying to suppress the laughter that's threatening to escape. "Well, uh. I'll create everything that I can, I suppose."

I sat beside him and held his wooden cane, dragging my fingertips to feel its rough texture.

"Anything in particular?"

"I want to do something about the pollution in the undercity, perhaps a machine that can separate chemicals from the water, or the toxic gas from air."

I stopped playing with his cane and placed my right cheek on my hand, head tilted to the side so I can stare at him while he talks.

"Equipments that can be very helpful with physical labor, that way it can lower the risk of diseases and early death..." He sighed, his expression turned serious. "I don't like how common it is for people in the undercity to die because of their work, so I want to help prevent that."

My gaze softened, he really does care a lot about his people. It's what I noticed whenever we hang out, everytime he talks about what he wants to do in the future, it always includes Zaun and his desire to make their lives easier and better. He knew the struggles of living in the shadows of the successful and rich Piltoverans, but he never did express any anger for the upper city, his goals are only focused on helping people, and I admire him for that.

Being born in Piltover, I had the privilege to grow up without much hardships. The only problem I have is not receiving attention from my parents, and that's nothing compared to what Viktor must've experienced living in Zaun. Though I thank the Gods for letting me meet him, if I didn't I wouldn't have known about the horrible reality of living in a place that Piltover treats like a dump.

It makes me feel guilty how we were conditioned to think that Zaunites are generally dangerous people. When in reality, they're just like us, just that one's forced to live behind the shadows of another. These people have dreams, passion, they have life. We are more similar to them than we are different, but why do we still treat them like they're lower than us?

I snapped back to reality when I felt fingers brush on my cheek, tucking my hair behind my ear. Viktor had stopped speaking, he's staring back at me, smiling sweetly.

"What are you thinking about?"

"Hm?" I blinked.

"You have been staring at me for 5 minutes now, I assumed you were lost in your thoughts again."

"Oh...yeah. Sorry I wasn't paying attention to what you were saying."

"That's alright." He moved his face closer, amber eyes looking directly at mine, he stayed there for a few seconds before pulling away. I lifted my head from my hand, only then did I notice the sweat forming on my palms, which I wiped on my pants.

"What was that for?"

"Hm? Oh. I just noticed how your pupils were...dilated." The bunny toy made clicking sounds as he twisted the key on the back of it.

"Dilated?" I brought my fingers to touch my eyelids, with a worried tone I asked, "Are my eyes okay??"

"No, no. There is nothing wrong with your eyes, don't worry."

I placed my hand back down to my knees with a quiet "oh."

"It's okay, it just happens when you're..." He paused, looking at me from the side of his eye. I watched as averted his gaze, coughing once and clearing his throat, before putting the toy on the ground, not planning to finish his sentence.

"Anyways, ehem, look. I'm done with the inside, only have the eyes to work on."

I squinted my eyes on him, focusing my attention to the toy after he smiled at me. "Go ahead, you can push the head now."

I placed the tips of my fingers on its head, then pushed lightly. It started hopping from one place to another, I gasped in amazement at how it was functioning properly. It didn't stumble or anything, just continued hopping around in circles until it stopped.

"Wow, well done as always, Viktor!" I swung my hand his back, almost making him fall forward. He laughed it off after I apologized.

"It's all thanks to you, I would've spent more time on it if you weren't here to give me the materials needed."

I opened my mouth and laughed in an exaggerated way, patting his back with all my strength. "Of course, my friend! I will always be here to help you when you need me!"

He laughed with me, but not as loud. "Much appreciated. Here."

My arm got pulled down by him, the toy placed on my hand.

"It's yours now."

"What? Why?" I wrapped my fingers around it, feeling the cold, smooth metal against my skin.

"I don't have the materials for the eyes but I figured you can just do it from your home. I planned to give it to you ever since I started working on it, anyway." He smiled at me. "Consider it a gift. In exchange for the foods you bring here everytime you come, and for being my friend."

"Awww, Viktor..." I sniffed, tears quickly forming on the corner of my eyes. I see the panic on his face, hands hovering on me seemingly not knowing how to react. His mouth opened but before he could start apologizing, I wrapped my arms around his waist. He froze for a few seconds, processing the unfamiliar gesture, then melting into the hug.

"You really didn't have to...but thank you."

Exhaling, he embraced me tightly, rubbing my back with his hand. "You're welcome." He whispered.

-

HIII sorry for disappearing for two days my brain went for a vacation in the pacific ocean without telling me lmao

This chapter might be the last one of them hanging out as kids but I'll try to focus more on my oc on the next one so u can learn more abt her b4 she grows up👁️

ALSO thank u for 2k reads😭😭 I didn't really expect my book to get this much attention but im still grateful for ur comments and votes, they make me so happy❤️

i pat ur heads and give u all sweetmilk tysm🍇🍇