comfort sleep

Viktor ended his work shift earlier than usual. Most of the time he would do his job until midnight, building and repairing gadgets. He would stay up even later at his home to study the school books his best friend would lend him. It's the reason why he has such dark eyebags.

Ica used to scold him for overworking himself, but she stopped after noticing how anxious he gets when he's not doing anything. He always needed to be occupied with something, doing nothing will drive him crazy.

Now he has something else to add to his priorities; he had put the competition at the top of his list, his work now second, his studies third.

They both bid the shop owner farewell, the man's curious look was the last thing they see as they close the door. Ica adjusted her mask, tilting her head to Viktor's exposed face. "You need to stop forgetting your mask."

"Eh. Not important." He was careful not to slip on the greasy stone path, his cane helping him keep his balance while Ica shuffles behind him. 

"Not important," mocking him. "Wait until you inhale too much gas your lungs stop worki—" She yelps as her right leg slides forward, causing her to split. She used her hand to push herself up.

"What the fuck." She cries at her wet hand, grimacing at the thought of what kind of liquid was on the ground she just touched.

Viktor mentally facepalms, watching her wipe it on her cape. "Here." He offered his free hand, pulling it back when she attempted to hold it with the dirty hand. "The other one." She transferred her bag to give him her cleaner hand, intertwining their fingers as they continued walking, working together to keep each other from slipping.

They bought vegetables and meat on the way, Ica insisting they use her money like usual. She filled her bag so much that they had to carry it together until they reached Viktor's home.

They placed it down so Viktor could open the door, lifting it up again as they enter. The first thing that greeted them was the sight of his mother. She sat at their dinner table, a chisel on her hand as she carves another one of her delicate woodwork.

Looking over her shoulder at the sound of the door closing, she smiled as soon as she saw them. "You are home early. Hello, Ica." Her accented voice was soft and high-pitched, Ica imagined it would be how a pretty flower would sound like. The girl smiled back and nodded as a greeting. His mother's eyes following the bag that they placed on the table.

Viktor kissed her cheek. "Ica bought us food, for tonight." He paused, glancing at the bag. "Or for the week."

"Again?" Surprised, she opens the bag to see its contents. "Oh, you sweet girl." Viktor moved aside so his mother could reach his friend, cradling her face with motherly affection and giving her small kisses to which Ica responds with a fit of giggles. "I am forever grateful for you, my dear."

"You're always welcome, ma'am." Her heart grew warm from the older woman's actions. She liked visiting them for this very reason, Viktor's parents were like the parents she never had. They are always warm and welcoming, giving her compliments for everything she does, the exact opposite of what her real parents are like. They always listened to her and paid attention to whatever she says, catching her off guard when they remember the littlest bit of details about her. Sometimes she would wish that she was born in their family, she would have had a more comforting house to get home to, better parents that could treat her like a real daughter, and she could live together with Viktor. She would've been 10x happier of a person if only it was true.

"What's Vik home early for? Does he not have a job until midnight?" Viktor had already gone upstairs, probably to change his clothes. His mother's putting aside the vegetables and meat to store in their appropriate containers.