mother

I walked into the empty house, closing the door behind me as I did.

"I'm home." I muttered hoping there was someone there to greet me back, but as usual, only silence did. Hearing no other sounds but my own breathing, I took off my shoes and carefully placed it in the shoe rack beside the door.

My socks protected the bottom of my feet from the cold floor as I walked across the room to the stairs. The maids' efforts were apparent by how clean the furniture was despite them barely being used, the potted plants that I passed by were very healthy that you wouldn't even think that its owners had left them there to die.

I climbed the carpeted stairs, dragging my fingers along the wooden bannisters as I do. The large window above the staircase acted as the room's source of light since the lamps weren't lit yet.

I gazed at the toy I was holding and couldn't help but smile at the thought of a certain golden eyed boy. I turned it around with my hand, admiring the different colored metals that acted as its skin, somehow reminding me of Viktor's clothes. Its transparent stomach shows me the mechanisms inside. I took in how intricate it was, the handiwork was beyond what I can do, I don't think I'd be able to repair it if there comes a time that I have to.

I stopped in the middle of the hallway as I picked up the faintest sound of music through the walls. Someone's home? But the maids don't have work every end of the week. Could it be...?

A small rush of excitement and hopefulness flooded my body as I ran through the hallway closer to where the music was coming from, my feet leaving heavy steps which sounds were muted by the cotton material that they wore. I ended up in front of the door I knew too well. It's a wooden one, the designs reminding me of the times I would stare at it the way I'm doing now, remembering how I only go inside whenever I needed to feel the familiar comfort. It's the door leading to her office.

Taking in a few deep breaths, I slowly pushed it open with my free hand, setting my eyes on the very person I was expecting to be there. She sat at the same table I used to sleep on when I wanted to feel close her. She's scribbling on a notebook with her left hand while she rubs her forehead with the other.

"Mother..."

She raised her tired eyes from the paper to meet mine. From where I was I could see the dark eyebags that made obvious to how stressed she was, the wrinkles on her face were far more noticeable than I remembered it to be. She sat up properly, letting out a heavy sigh as I hear her bones crack loudly.

"Hello, sweetheart." Her hoarse but familiar voice made my eyes well up with tears. I used to only hear her voice whenever I dream of her singing me to sleep, it's been so long that I almost forgot what she sounded like, but now I can finally hear it again. Her gentle, sweet, tired voice.

"I was just wondering where you went."

"You're home early." I lowered my eyes, biting my lower lip to stop it from trembling. My fingers were now as cold as the toy as I tightened my grip on it, holding it close to my chest. A breathy chuckle came out of her, running her fingers through her white streaked black hair.

"I was given a day off, thought I'd spend it with you." She stood up from her seat and made her way to me, smiling as she opened her arms. I sniffled, wiping the tears on my eyes before running to hug her waist.

"I...missed you...missed you so much." My throat felt like it was being squeezed, the overwhelming feeling taking over my whole body as I break down.

"I know, darling, I know." She slid herself through my arms to kneel, cradling my head as I sobbed on her shoulders. "I missed you too."

Her warmth was comforting, I could finally feel it after craving for it for so long. She's here...she's actually here...