You're like a ghost...

Tommy struggled out of the hole he carved under Techno's house. It would be quick. Just sneak upstairs, steal some food, and get back down as quickly as possible. Hide before Dream find him again.

Tommy reached the chest room. His ears strained to hear anything that might approach the house. But it was silent. The boy carefully opened a chest.

His mouth watered at the sight of golden apples, multiple stacks of them. Tommy grabbed one, taking a large bite. The sweet juice poured over his tongue. A satisfying crunch sounded as he took another bite.

"Tommy!?"

The boy jumped, scrambling back at the sudden voice. It was Dream. It had to be Dream. He'd found him again and now he was going to blow up all his stuff, and his new home, and-

"Tommy, what are you doing here?"

That... That wasn't Dream's voice. Tommy opened his eyes to see Techno standing in the doorway.

"I'm sorry!" Tommy yelled, throwing the gapples, even the half eaten one, on the ground with the rest of his stuff, "I'm sorry! Please don't hurt me!"

Techno frowned, leaning down to pick up the gapples. Tommy took this opportunity to dive down the ladder. He heard Techno calling for him, but he ignored it. He had to get to safety.

Tommy jumped under the covers of his bed, like a child fearing the dark. Maybe Techno would pass him by, think he escaped.

The ladder creaked. Techno landed in a small alcove under his house, decorated with yellow concrete- his yellow concrete. The piglin frowned at the shivering lump under the covers.

"Tommy, I can see you." Techno sighed, "what are you doing under my house?"

The lump didn't respond. Techno sighed again, moving over to the bed. He ripped the blankets off. Tommy was curled into a ball, shaking violently with his arms over his head. Techno took note of the torn, dirty clothes. The bruises and burns on the skin Techno could see. How skinny the boy was.

"I'm not gonna hurt you." Techno crosses his arms, "I just wanna know why you're here."

"I just- he blew it all up Techno..." Tommy whimpered, "he blew up my home..."

Techno paused, "Wilbur?"

Tommy shook his head, "Dream."

Techno frowned, "did Dream do this to you?"

Tommy nodded. Techno sighed, dropping all of Tommy's stuff and a few gapples on the ground. Tommy froze, not daring to pick anything up.

"You can stay. Just stop stealing my stuff." Techno told him.

Tommy sat there in shock. Techno was letting him stay? The boy carefully picked up a golden apple with a shaking hand. Nothing happened. Techno just watched him with vague curiosity. Tommy's stomach grumbled, and he couldn't wait any longer. He devoured the apple. A solid meal after so long in exile.

Techno scoffed in amusement, "you're a mess."

"Shut up." Tommy huffed, wiping some juice from his mouth.

"There's the Tommy I know." Techno smiled and sat down, then frowned, "but what happened to you?"

Tommy looked away. Techno caught sight of a fresh branding on his neck. A smiley face. Techno grit his teeth. That was sick. Tommy was a child.

"Tommy." Techno spoke, making the boy flinch, "What did Dream do to you?"

"He um," Tommy gulped, "h-he took all my stuff and blew it up. He would make me put it in holes... If I didn't he would- he would-"

"Hit you?" Techno filled in.

Tommy nodded, and when he spoke again his voice was pinched, "I tried to hide materials, but he-he blew it up. He blew up Logstedshire. It's all gone..."

Techno hummed, "and that mark on your neck?"

Tommy's hand clamped over the branding and he curled up against the wall.

"It's nothing." He snapped.

"Nothing?" Techno leaned forward, "Tommy, if Dream branded you, that's not nothing."

Tears filled the boys dull blue eyes, "he told me not to tell anyone... He-he said he'd always find me... That I'm his entertainment..."

Techno frowned deeply. So this was the man he owed a favor to. A child abuser.

"So." Techno started, "Tubbo exiled you from L'manburg, and you escaped Dream. But why come here? Why not just run off on your own?"

"He'll find me." Tommy whispered, "anywhere else he'll find me. But he wouldn't think to look here, would he?"

"He absolutely would Tommy." Techno sighed, "I wouldn't be surprised if he was on his way right now."

Tommy's eyes widened, "no... No I can't go back to exile! Techno please! I-I can't do that again!"

"Calm down Tommy." Techno held his hands up, "Dreams not gonna find you here. You're gonna stay with me."

"Really?" Tommy said quietly.

Techno nodded, "you've been exiled, beaten, had your home blown up too many times. You've been hurt way more than you deserve. I say we give back a little of what you received."

"What do you mean?" Tommy asked.

Techno smiled, "have you ever heard my philosophy before?"

Tommy shook his head. Techno stood, grinning as he spread his arms.

"Those who have treated me with injustice, who hunt me down, hurt my friends!" Techno started, "I shall repay that injustice a thousand times over."

Techno held out his hand, "let's repay some injustice."