A Starbucks Chat

Monty's mother, Sharon, is waiting at the other end of the Starbucks bar for her drink. I spotter her after I ordered a salted caramel cold brew and started walking towards the waiting area.

When I tell you I turned around so fast, you have no idea.

Fuck. Please don't see me.

But, maybe I should apologize. Not because I think she deserves one, but for Monty's sake.

I internally groan and turn back around. "Mrs. Jones?" I walk up to her.

Sharon turns and looks me up and down, "Preston," she says my name like I'm the scum under her shoe. Fair enough.

"Um, I wanted to say that I'm sorry about everything I said at that dinner. I was very disrespectful."

Sharon purses her lips, thinking, then speaks, "I see why Montgomery is so infatuated with you. Your bold mouth is as bold as his self expression." My eyebrows raise, "yeah, I know how he dresses outside of my home. I'm not fond of it." I try not to show any reaction to that comment, but my hands are begging to ball into a fist. "But, he'll grow up and mature...but, not with you around."

What the fuck? I open my mouth to give her a piece of my mind, but she beats me to it.

"My son is going places. He's a smart boy. College is his dream. He's been planning college since as long as I can remember. He was so happy when he got his acceptance letter along with his scholarship. Which, he did not get this scholarship for nothing."

I'm so lost right now, "What does this have to do with-"

"But, if he loses his scholarship, he's out. 'Cause lord knows I couldn't ever afford his tuition. I've already noticed a lack in studying. You're not going to ruin Montgomery's chances by distracting him."

Distracting? "I'm not-"

"His grades are slipping, did you know that?"

Monty's... failing? Why didn't they tell me? That can't be because of me, we've only been hanging out for two weeks... I open my mouth to counter her statement when the barista calls "Sharon? Chai tea?"

Sharon gives me a pointed look, saying, "just think about my son's future the next time you want to keep him from studying." She grabs her hot tea and walks out.

**

Thoughts on Sharon?

Comment/vote! Thank you for reading <3 next chapter out soon!!

-Xoxo Bert