Piss Off

The dinner is going fine. (I found out Monty is short for Montgomery about a half hour ago). Monty's family is very welcoming, but there's one thing still bothering me and it doesn't click until a conversation about mine and Monty's relationship is brought up.

"So, Preston," Sharon, Monty's mother, starts, but almost awkwardly like she doesn't actually want to ask, "you and Monty are...?" Ah, so they do know Monty's gay.

I look at Monty, not knowing how to answer that, but Monty beats me to it. "No, mom, we're just friends."

The father grumbles something and looks uncomfortable and everything clicks when the grandmother speaks, in a disgusted tone, "There's no need to talk about that at the dinner table, Sharon."

Click. Monty's family knows of his sexuality but are homophobic and that's why Monty doesn't dress the way they normally do.

Knowing this ticks me off.

Especially when the grandmother adds, "not under the Lord's presence."

Without thinking, I grumble, "Oh, piss off with that shit."

I hear a few gasps, forks clank on the plate from falling out of hands, and Monty's mother looking horrified by my words.

"Preston," Monty speaks, appalled.

"What? Are you kidding me, Monty? I've seen the homophobic parents, alright? My best friend's parents were horrible people, but at least they had the audacity to be honest about their homophobia."

Sharon gasps, "How dare you! We fully support Montgomery!"

"Bullshit!" I stand up for what I'm about to say to these shit-heads because I can't believe this.
"If you did, Monty would be sitting here in the clothes he wants to wear, the jewelry he wants to wear, and the makeup he wants to wear. Not this God-awful sweater," I say in disgust. "Or these ugly pants."

Monty's mouth has been hanging open this entire time, his eyes wide. He looks frozen, paralyzed.

Mr. Jones stands up, pointing a finger towards the front door. "Boy, you better get out of my house this instant or, Lord help me," he threatens in a deep, dark tone.

My hands are clenched into fists, my jaw set tight. I look at Monty, they look frightened, but they don't say anything. Fuck this. But before I go, I shift my stare at Mr. and Mrs. Jones. I hope my heated glare seeps into them as I tell Monty's parents, "do better."

I storm to the front door, pull my shoes on, and I slam their front door shut behind me.

**

Rough.

Comment what you think. Thank you for reading!!

-Xoxo, Bert