Bail

My mother bailed us out two and a half hours later. I knew she was angry from her set jaw, eyebrows drawn in, non-stop twitching of her nose, but she said nothing. She won't say anything on the matter until we're alone.

Walking past the officer that had arrested us, I bring my hand up to flip him off, but don't get a chance to because Monty pushed my hand down. Monty sent me a death glare. I just huffed, but moved on. 

My mom drops Monty off. We didn't speak the entire ride. The only words that were spoken were between my mother and him. "Are you alright, sweetheart?" My mom asks once we're parked in Monty's driveway.

"Yeah, thank you for driving me and... everything."

"Of course," she tells him right before he exits the car, not looking at me.

After watching him safely enter his home, my mom's wrath starts firing at me as she reverses out of the driveway. "What in God's name do you think you were doing driving like that?"

"I'm sorry," I tell her, my head slumped against the passenger side window.

"You better be. I just paid $350 for reckless driving and insubordination. Insubordination! And now I have to go to a lot to pay a fine to get your car back! Have I raised you wrong?"

"No, mom, but that cop was a racist piece of shit-"

"Language!"

"Was a racist jerk to Monty. Acting like he was a murder and harming me just because he's black. You should've seen Monty, he was scared. All because of that stupid officer."

My mother sighs, "I'm just glad you both are okay. And you're grounded."

I sat up, whipping my head around to face her, "What?! I don't even live with you!"

"I might not be able to keep you in your room, but I can do you one better. I'm taking what I just paid for, out of your account and putting a $100 cap on your card a week for a month."

I gasp, "No, please. I can't live off of $100 a week. What am I supposed to do? Buy a loaf of bread and peanut butter and jelly and make myself PB and J's every day?"

My mother shrugs, "Get a job then."

I groan. $400 dollars to live off of for a month? I'll die! Ugh, I'm officially living in poverty!

**

It's four in the morning when I finally lay down in my loft bed, back in my dorm.

Ethan had woken up, startled when I walked in. But I told him he was dreaming. He mumbled something incoherent, then fell back asleep.

I text Monty.

Monty
Today 4:06 AM

Are yu stil up?

I'm sory abt 2night

It's ok

R you ok?

I'm fine. I've never
been in that situation.

I'm sorry

You don't have to keep
apologizing. How much
do I owe your mom?
I can pay half, but it might
be some time.

You dont owe hr
anythig. She took it
out of my account

I'll pay you back

Dont bother
I wont acept it

Monty reads my message, but doesn't respond. God, I hope I didn't completely fuck things up between us. I type out a text, hesitate, then send it.

Are we ok?

Text bubbles pop up then disappear. Then I receive,

yes.

I exhale, and now feel my confidence rebuilding.

Come ovr

Good night Preston

Groaning, I reluctantly text, Good night Monty

**

Comment/vote <3 Thank you for reading

-Xoxo, Bert