Chapter 27: "Lucilla"

Song: "Oracion"

        Ihaan and I spent a very long time out in the heart of Red Squirrel Lake looking at the stars. They were just so beautiful. I didn't want to leave. One more thing happened that night that was both remarkable and mysterious. Did you know, audience, that Ihaan the Hermit was a music student? Well, he was, and he played something amazing. This was the first time he introduced me to this instrument. The fun never ended when I was with him.

He and I sat under the stars, and I pointed out a few constellations. One of them was Cygnus the Swan. Cygnus has always been one of my favorite constellations. Ro liked Cygnus because duh, she was a bird.

        It was dead silent on the lake. I was still seated in the bow of the canoe, and Ihaan still remained in the stern with Ro. The Ghost of Ontario amazingly hadn't attacked us. Well, not yet at least. I knew he would, though. The star canopy had calmed me down a bit but not totally. Deep inside, I was still screaming.

I think Ihaan noticed this because he asked me, "Little Red? Are you all right?" My eyes had adjusted to the dark, so I saw him pretty clearly. His hand rested on his Native American-styled pouch, and Ro sat on his arm again with her wings wrapped around his neck.

I shook my head and looked away, closing my eyes. "No." I admitted. A rush of wind blasted through mine's and Ihaan's hair. I opened my eyes again and glanced at him, continuing, "Ihaan, it's just, I don't feel safe in this park."

"And why is that?" he wanted to know. "Is it because of this so-called Ghost of Ontario?"

"Yes! What if he flies out right now and grabs us?" Negative thoughts started to flood through my brain again.

Here, Ihaan tried to have a little fun, although it was actually kind of scary.

Ro lifted off his arm, and he grabbed hold of either side of his canoe, asking, "Does this mean you don't want me to try this?" With that, he started to wiggle the canoe.

"Ahh!" I screamed. "Stop! Stop, Ihaan! Look!" I pointed one of the tilted ends of the canoe in which a little water had come it, "There's water coming into the canoe!" I did not want to fall in the water again. It was cold! Besides, we were right over the shipwreck of the Ghost of Ontario!

Ihaan laughed, and Ro made a noise that sounded like laughing as well. "Aw," he spoke, "Is a guy not allowed to have some fun?"

I started to chew him out. He promised me that he wouldn't let anything happen to me, and guess what he did? He tried to capsize the boat! I thought he was a gentleman! He really didn't. He really was a gentleman. He was just a boy who wanted to have some fun. I mean, all kids want to, right?

        However, before I could really start to yell at him, Ihaan looked out to the lake and said, "Shh! Quiet! Quiet!"

"Huh?!" I frightfully asked. I turned to stone. My entire world crumbled down. I could feel the Ghost of Ontario's presence. I too looked out to the lake, and I saw Ihaan grip the edge of the canoe with both hands. Ro landed on the thwart again. The wind blew again. I noticed that Ihaan closed his eyes against it. "What is it?" I asked him, even though I knew it was the Ghost of Ontario coming for us.

"The wind," he answered, "The wind is trying to tell us something, Kylie. Listen. Listen with your heart and your mind."

I stared at him. What was he talking about?

He soon asked, "Do you feel it, Ro?"

I next glanced at Ro. She too had closed her eyes. Wind blasted through her feathers and Ihaan's scraggly, long, brown hair.