Chapter 1

The first day of Sophomore year, the day both Jade and Marcus had been dreading for the past two weeks. They were going to be forced to face each other after their breakup. Marcus and Jade met in kindergarten and started out as just friends until they started to develop feelings for each other in middle school. They had been dating since the end of 8th grade, and they took each other's virginity in the middle of 9th grade. Jade was there by Marcus's side after his best friend died. She thought things were great, but the weren't. Marcus started speaking to other girls and became more distant from Jade. He eventually ended things, "The spark went out so long ago. I'm sure we both saw this coming." He told her. She was heart broken, she wouldn't leave her room, and she cried everyday. Kenzie was the only person she would talk to.

Walking into the school was the most challenging thing Jade ever had to do. Seeing Marcus walk down the hall with a new girl made her skin crawl. "Look at him. Already with a new bitch." Jade told Kenzie. "Just ignore him, he's a sorry little thot." Kenzie told her before walking to their first class together.

AP English with Mr. Gitten, the class Jade's older sister has been warning her about since she was in middle school. Jade walked into the classroom and took a seat towards the middle of the first row. She turned to look around, only to be met with the smiling face of her ex's sister beside her. "Hey Jade!" Max said cheerfully. Jade waved lightly at her and smiled. Jade didn't have an issue with any of Marcus's family, just Marcus. Max and her parents have always been nice to her.

As soon as class started, there was an issue with Mr. Gitten treating her and another African American girl in her class named Ginny differently from their peers. He suggested that they would have difficulty keeping up in class, which was not the case. Jade has been taking honors classes since she was in elementary school. After explaining to the racist teacher that they were put in AP for a reason, they were able to start their quiz without issue.

At the end of taking the quiz, Jade was hit with an intense wave of nausea and felt sick to her stomach. She quickly finished the last questions on her quiz and then bolted out of the room and to the nearest trash can, which she immediately threw up into. The throwing up surprised her, she hadn't felt sick at all. She was going to call her mother to pick her up but she knew her mom wouldn't pick her up for throwing up once, she had to throw up at least twice before her mom even considered driving all the way from work to pick her up. Instead, she rinsed and wiped her mouth before heading back to class.

The day continued and Jade felt more tortured the more she saw Marcus. He obviously moved on and it made her sick to see how fast he started talking to a new girl. Jade found out that she shared one class with him, and that class was social studies. He sat two tables away from her. They both completely ignored each other the entire class period. Jade was so relieved when the bell rang and she could finally go home.

Later that night, Jade talked with Kenzie on the phone about the day. "I threw up outta nowhere in first period." She told her. "Nerves?" Kenzie asked. "Probably. I just can't believe the audacity of that boy. I gave him two years of my full commitment and this is the shit he does?" Jade ranted to Kenzie. "Just ignore him Jade! He obviously didn't deserve it and in the end, you'll be the happy one and he'll be miserable." Kenzie reassured her.

The next morning, Jade was throwing up again. This made her nervous because after she threw up, she realized that she never got her period the previous week like she was supposed to. With that though in mind, she quickly went to her parents bathroom and looked under her mother's sink. She successfully located and retrieved a pregnancy test. She hid the test in the sleeve of her pajama shirt and went to her bathroom.

She waited and paced anxiously for 5 minutes before deciding not to take the test at home. She'd wait until she could tell Kenzie about what was going on. She shoved the test in her backpack and quickly got dressed.

"What do you mean you think you're pregnant!?" Kenzie asked Jade. "Shhh! I just want to make sure you're there while I take this damn test." Jade told her. Kenzie sighed, "Come on!" She said while grabbing Jades arm and dragging her to the bathroom.

For 5 minutes after taking the test, Jade paced anxiously around the bathroom. Kenzie held the test in her hand and waited for the results. The moment the results were ready, Kenzie read them. She was shocked. "What?" Jade asked her. "I'm so sorry.." she told Jade. "No! You're fucking with me!" Jade said. "It's positive." Kenzie told her while showing her the test. "That's not funny, you're joking around Kenzie." Jade tried bargaining. Kenzie looked at her sadly and shook her head. Jade's hands quickly covered her mouth. She was in so much shock that her knees gave out and she collapsed forward into Kenzie's arms. Her body shook with silent sobs, she sobbed harder when she remembered that she was going to have to tell her baby's father, but how was that possible when he didn't even acknowledge her existence?