Chapter 3

Marcus got out of school early on the day of the ultrasound. His mom and dad picked him up and went to the OBGYN with him. They got there a few minutes after Jade and her mother. Jade was filling out medical forms when they walked in. Ellen greeted her mother while Marcus went to sit beside Jade. They waited in an awkward silence until they were called back for the appointment.

"This is going to be cold." The ultrasound tech told Jade as she squirted the cold gel below her bellybutton and moved the ultrasound wand around until they saw the clear image of the baby on the screen. "There's the baby!" The ultrasound tech said before taking a photo on the computer. "Based on what I see, I can tell that you're about 10 weeks along, and in two more weeks you'll be done with your first trimester!" She said while moving the wand to get another angle and took another picture.  She took a series of photos before cleaning the gel off. "Let's see if we can hear a heartbeat, it'll help me confirm." She said while getting the Doppler and applying more gel to Jade's abdomen. The heartbeat was able to be heard almost instantly. It kind of shocked Marcus and Jade because it was so fast. "Is it supposed to be that fast?" Jade asked. "Yes, that is the sound of a healthy fetus!" The ultrasound tech told her. Marcus looked to his and Jade's mother's, who were both crying. "Oh God, I haven't heard a sound like this in 15 years." Ellen laughed as she wiped a tear from her face. "It sounds absolutely perfect." Jade's mother said while smiling to her daughter.

After the appointment, both of the families went to Blue farm, Marcus parents sat with Jade's mom while Marcus and Jade sat at another table. "Ok, I guess we need to figure out shit like custody and finances." Marcus told Jade. She shrugged, "I guess so." She told him. "Custody needs to be 50/50, you'll get a week and I'll get a week." Jade told him. He nodded, "Of course." He agreed with her."Glad we agree." She told him. "Yup." He told her.

When she got home, the first thing Max did was bully Marcus into showing her the sonogram. "Awww! I going to be an aunt!" She said excitedly. He nodded and rubbed his temples. He'd been looking for job opportunities and he finally found one at the skateboard shop where he got all of his boards from. He had an interview scheduled for the next day after school. He still hadn't told Ginny or Padma about the baby, and now he didn't have to for another few weeks because Jade didn't want many people knowing until after the first trimester was over. "How far along is she?" Max asked Marcus, bringing him out of his thoughts. "10 weeks." He told her nonchalantly. "Oh my god, you don't have much time left to prepare than." Max said. "The fuck are you talking about Max? It's still the first trimester. I have more than enough time." He told her. She laughed, "If that's what you want to believe, than fine. But Just know, the last thing I'll let you do is bring a baby into the world unprepared. If my niece or nephew is born and you don't so much as have a onesie for them, I will strangle you without a second thought." Max told him before leaving him to do her homework.

Jade and Kenzie sat in Jade's bed looking at the sonogram. "Damn, that baby has a huge ass head." Kenzie said. "You're one to talk." Jade said while pointing to Kenzie's head, she laughed. "I have to go back in with Marcus in two weeks for the genetic testing." Jade told Kenzie. "That's good, gotta make sure everything is good with my godchild." Kenzie told Jade. "Definitely." Jade responded.

The next day at school was difficult for Jade. She was sick out of her mind and couldn't make it halfway through first period. Max saw how queasy Jade was and she was the one who rushed her out of the classroom before she threw up.

As Jade heaved heavily into the trash can in front of her, Max held her hair out of her face and rubbed her back. "Do you want me to call your mother?" Max asked her as they we're finally able to sit against the wall. Jade shook her head, "I'll be fine." Jade told her while resting against the wall. "I just need a minute." She continued before catching her breath.