Chapter 30: "Lucilla" or No "Silla"?

Song: "Forest of Forgetfulness" - The Fiechters

        Since Uncle Bart had given me his whistle as a gift, I decided to return the favor. I gave him the gift of meeting Ihaan for the first time before the rest of Camp Juniper. We scurried through the forest, and I frantically searched for the tree I had skewered. I found it, and guess who was pinned up against it? You've got it! Ihaan the Hermit! I struck a bullseye, which was strange because I usually stink at archery. He was dressed in his bear costume and a new pair of boots. Unlike his other ones, these boots were made out of animal fur. The arrow had gone through the mask of his bear costume. Don't worry, I didn't hurt him. I would never hurt Ihaan. I just wanted to prove to the rest of Camp Juniper that he really did exist.

At the sight of him, I blushed and let Uncle Bart's hand go.

"What the?!" he yelled, and he fell down onto his bum, pulling his knees up close.

"Ihaan!" I yelled, and a grin stretched across my face. "I knew I wasn't hallucinating! Here you go, Uncle Bart! This is my gift to you!"

"Wow, Little Red." Ihaan stammered from where he hung. "You have a very strong arm."

"I canoe, Ihaan." I explained. "That's why my arms are so strong." Approaching him, I continued to grin. Ha, ha, I got him! I fished Ihaan out of hiding!

His wide, deep brown eyes landed on Uncle Bart, and pointing at him, he asked, "Um, who is that?!" in a startled voice.

"That's my Uncle Bart, Ihaan," I said, and I reached for the arrow. Just like that, I pulled it out, and Ihaan dropped to the ground. He tried to run, but I grabbed him by the ear again.

Ihaan cringed.

Uncle Bart sat frozen on the ground. He was so shocked.

Facing him, I asked, "See, Uncle Bart?" and I tightened my grip on Ihaan's ear. "Ears, hair, fingers, nose, and toes! He is definitely a person!" I released Ihaan's ear but grabbed him by the hair before he could get away. He wasn't going anywhere.

"Can you at least let me take a shamble?" he begged. He started to run in place.

Uncle Bart finally asked him, "Am I scary?"

"Yes! Very!" Ihaan yelped.

Uncle Bart looked offended. "Well!" he said, and he brought his hand to his chest.

"Um," stammered Ihaan, "I-I think I hear a tintinnabulation! It screams from over there!" He pointed into the forest, and Uncle Bart looked in that direction. I didn't, though. I didn't fall for that trick. I've seen it played too many times. To release himself, Ihaan elbowed me in the ribs. He started to run again, but like what I did before, I knocked him to the ground. This time, I grabbed him by the right leg and started to pull him back in the direction of Uncle Bart. Ihaan's fingers slid on the ground, and he yelled, "No! Spare me! I want to live!"

"You should've thought about that before you decided to take an interest in me." I told him. "Sorry, Ihaan, but I'm going to take you back to Camp Juniper to prove that you really do exist." I moved my hands down to his ankle and continued to pull.

Next time Ihaan yelled, his voice was hollow. "Let me go! Please! Stop! You're pulling my injured foot! It hurts! Let go!"

From behind Uncle Bart, Ihaan, and I, I heard the voice of Dad yelling from the forest. "Kylie! What's going on over there?"

"Let me go!" Ihaan choked out. "It hurts!"

"Okay! Okay!" I finally complied. I let his foot go. Ihaan quickly sat up, and he pressed his palms up against the forest's floor. He peered into my eyes. I actually noticed he was crying. Was I really that scary? I decided to let him off the hook this time, but next time, that was as if we did see him again, he would be mine. "You're let go." I said in a softer voice, and I waved him away, "Go."