Chapter 20: Single Snake Battle Formation

"Eh, this...one man's meat is another man's poison. Is it possible that Su Nuan Nuan just likes sunning beans at the entrance?" Actually, Duan Tingxuan was aware that Su Nuan Nuan is full of evil intentions. However, since he had eaten her sweet You Ping that morning, he did not mind spending a couple of words in her defence.

Xu Ran Yun's phoenix eyes narrowed slightly. The reason why she had not revealed everything from the beginning was because she wanted to find out the depth of her husband's true feelings. Now that she had found out, her heart can't help but sink: Looks like Yang Tai Tai was right, god knows why but the lord had taken interest in the three women at Mei Yue Lou, enough to improve their pitiful living conditions. This can not be a good thing.

Her gaze gently swept towards Concubine Jiang who had, until then did not say a single word. As soon as their eyes met, Concubine Jiang knew her role and leaped up to say. "Did master regret it? It looks as if master can't stop talking about Big Madam? If that's the case, then master really shouldn't have banished them to Mei Yue Lou in the first place. Her anger seems to have gotten even more potent, what should we do now?"

"Who said I regretted anything? I was just being thoughtful...this...people have different types of hobbies after all, right?"

Duan Tingxuan tried to cover his lame excuses by speaking with a loud voice. Actually, ever since he'd eaten those fragrant dishes at Mei Yue Lou, he bitterly regretted that day's hasty decision more than once. Now he wanted the three of them back to the inner court, but was too ashamed to say so.

Moreover, he could not bear to admit his own mistake here, right in front of his own wife and concubine. When it comes to the matter of face, a prince must never own up to any mistakes no matter what, if he had to become a dead duck then so be it.

Xu Ran Yun was felt infuriated by her husband's stubborn dead duck's expression, and said with a cold smile. "What is my lord yelling about? Please don't vent your shameful frustrations at us sisters here, go and direct it at Big Madam. Who do you think those beans are for? Heh heh! Surely it's not prepared for this lowly one? Big Madam don't even know when I'm coming. I'll tell you frankly, those beans are prepared especially for you, that trap is created with you in mind. What 'one man's meat is another man's poison', what 'Big Madam likes to sun beans at the entrance', what 'thoughtfulness', I almost laughed to death at these words."

"What? A trap for me? It can't be." Duan Tingxuan jumped up like a cat whose tail was stepped on, shaking his head like a rattle, "It can't be, this can't be. I just sent them some rice and beans this morning, at that time Hong Lian and Xiang Yun were all very cheerful, so why..."

The prince paused without finishing his words, feeling that it's best that the rest of these words remained in his heart. As expected, the wife before him had eyes as large as gold fish's, mouth dropped open so wide that she could probably swallow a whole chicken's egg. Clearly, she was very shocked.

Without waiting for him to utter any face saving words, Concubine Jiang's high pitched voice suddenly said. "Master, what are you saying? You've been to Mei Yue Lou, and even gave them things?"

"Ahem...that...isn't this having thrown them there for half a year, having suddenly thought to take a look because I was worried they'd starve?" Duan Tingxuan answered a little mechanically. His face sank as he felt that his image as a majestic and dignified husband collapsed in the eyes of his wife and concubine.

But then he hardened his resolved and decided to go on the offence. He gave Xu Ran Yun a serious look. "This an oversight on your part as well, Ran Yun. I heard that it's been a long time since they received their allowance."

Xu Ran Yun began to panic a little, her head drooped slightly as she said. "Does my lord blame me? As mentioned, there are many things to take care of, and Mei Yue Lou is far away, it easily slipped my notice. What kind of a person is my lord? Have you ever considered that this day would not have occurred if my lord did not send them over to Mei Yue Lou? What was the reason you sent them to that place? And yet, here you are blaming me."