Chapter 26: : Dragon Boat Festival

Madam, this Hairpin is really beautiful, this concubine has never seen it before. Did the master gift it to you recently? 

Said Concubine Jiang  with a smile as she gazed up at the beautifully decked out Xu Ran Yun admiring herself infront of the mirror.

As expected the praise reached Xu Ran Yun's heart, who smiled and said. "that's right ,the day before yesterday he brought this for me, saying that since it's the dragon festival, he wanted me to wear it. Of course its beautiful, however the value is not just in beauty alone, just take a look at these layers of gold flowers. The price of gold alone is one thing, the craftmanship,the painstaking effort that went into this piece, do you think we could ever attach a normal price on this hairpin?

"As expected, the gold flowers are nothing more than just skillful craftmanship,the most precious item is at the centre of the pin is this exquisite pearl. So large and smooth, one probably can't get it without 100 liang"seeing Xu Ran Yun so happy, she naturally increased her effort to please her.

Suddenly servants  called from outside the room,saying that the two young masters had already packed up and was requesting for further instructions. "Madam, should we leave now? old madam always likes to have lots of  people around, it would be bad if we are late.

Xu Ran Yun nodded, and left with Concubine Jiang ,seeing both Duan Mao Ming and Duan Mao Chuan were properly tidied up, she deliberately looked around all four corners of the courtyard, only after seeing that everything, including guards, peach trees and everything else were in their proper place that she gathered her female servants together and set out for the North Court were old madam lived.

Coincidentally they encountered Xue Zi Lan Bringing her two sons, Duan Mao Fan and Duan Mao Sen, with beautiful Concubine Jing by her side. Having two beauties standing next to each other ,one as gorgeous as peaches and plums,the other as refined as an exquisite orchid, certainly created a scene that was both pleasing to the eye and the mind.

Xu Ran Yun was actually quite  pretty  herself, but before this pair of outstanding elegance and beauty she felt a sense of inferiority. Envy and hatred grew in her heart ,but her smile remained on her face.  

"Oh why did i not see little sister Yu? Xue Zi Lan's smile was shy and gentle, as she said in a quiet voice. "These past two days her body is not well,she may catch a cold, i have bade the wet nurse to take care of her and not let her leave the house. Speaking of which, where is sister Qin? Why is she not here ?Is she sick as well?"

No-no ,its possible that she had kicked off her blanket last night and gotten cold ,and is now suffering from a little  runny tummy"

As the two chatted lightly together, walking side by side, shoulders almost bumping into each other, both secretly analyzing each others clothing and accessories, calculating the amount of affection each received. Duan Tingxuan was actually quite fair, every one of his wives and concubines all received one exquisite accessory each. Each Accessory also has its own special features , the phoenix pin on  Xue Zi Lan's head was a little inferior compared to the gold flower pin on Xu Ran Yun's  head. The jasper pin on Concubine Jing's head could not be compared in terms of value against the ones owned by the two wives, however it could be said that the pattern chosen suited her free and quiet temperament much better.

He was a very lusty one.

This was all women's opinion when it came to Duan Tingxuan, naturally it was nothing complementary. And Yet ,now that he was their husband ,it was only natural for the women to publicly or secretly fight each other for favor. Unable to monopolize his affections, they could only grit their teeth and curse in secret while assuming an air of harmonious relationship. At the same time using others while making themselves look better in the eyes of the important people.