Chapter 6: The Criminal Element

"Matt....you might wanna close that comic book...." Mariel said. Matt groaned and closed the book. Mariel snatched it from him and put it on her dresser. "First the summoning of cartoon characters, and NOW we need to repair the roof. Surely there can't be anymore-" Mariel was then cut off by a news blurb on the TV. 

THIS JUST IN: OVER 15 FICTIONAL CHARACTERS HAVE BEEN RELEASED. WE'VE ONLY IDENTIFIED TWO OF THEM THUS FAR, ONCE AGAIN, THOSE BEING BRENDON AND PAULA SMALL. IF YOU FIND ANY OTHER- oh wait....

THIS JUST IN: A 9 YEAR OLD KID HAS ROBBED THE NATIONAL BANK IN FORT BODINT! WE HAVEN'T GOTTEN THE KID'S NAME OR A PHOTO OF HIS FACE, BUT HE LOOKS TO HAVE STOLEN AT LEAST $10,000 IN CASH. IF YOU JUST SO HAPPEN TO SEE HIM ON THE LOOSE, PLEASE CONTACT YOUR AUTHORITIES. 

Mariel just facepalmed at this constant news, still very much baffled at how a comic could summon fictional characters from other universes. "Ok, none of these people are pretty or an anime girl." Matt scoffed. "Joseph. Could you take care of this for a few hours? I need a breather." Mariel said rubbing her head before heading to her room. 

Meanwhile, Inez was on her laptop, doing some much needed fact-checking among how this comic book can summon fictional beings. She then stumbled upon the news articles that Mariel found earlier, except that this was online rather than a physical copy that was cut out of the newspaper. These articles mostly discussed minor paranormal things like inanimate objects moving on their own for a few seconds and shadows of cartoon characters being present for a short period of time. "All of these are very interesting. Maybe this particular situation is a first?" Inez pondered before clicking onto a thread on Reddit about the comic itself. She went scrolling through the various comments, mostly saying that they either had no issues with the comic while others had what was mentioned in the articles....up until one comment at the very bottom....

"I got this comic a few months ago for my 18th birthday. At first I thoughts these claims were just random idiots trolling the news as is normal in our fucked up society. However, while I was watching Family Guy a few days ago, after the second episode ended. Brian Griffin jumped right out of my computer screen and has since been hanging out in my room. If anyone also has fictional characters who have randomly appeared after reading that damned comic, please let me know." 

"So none of us are going crazy...." Inez muttered before taking screenshots of the comment and saving it to a USB port. A knock on the door was heard, she didn't answer. That is until the door was knocked down by a bag of money. "WHAT THE FU- Wait....who are you." She asked shocked. "You don't need to know who I am, tootsie. I'm just here to hide from the authorities." It was a kid roughly around Brendon's age, if not probably a year older, he sported a blue and green cap and a red onesie similar to Brendon's blue onesie. Inez took a breath of frustration before snatching the USB port and heading out to the kitchen. The kid jumped on the bed and started filing his nails. "I, The Criminal Element, have struck once again...."