01 ━ denny

━

CHAPTER ONE
Denny

          "WAIT, WAIT, WAIT, you told her how you felt about her and she just... ignored you?" Harley Moon asked incredulously, her eyebrows furrowing in disbelief. She couldn't believe what she had just heard. "Like 'blank stare then walked away' ignore you."

"Yeah!" The man in the suit exclaimed loudly. "Not even the decency to turn me down with words."

"Wow." Harley breathed out, shaking her head. "What a bitch."

The man scoffed, waving his hand in exasperation. "Trust me, kid, you don't know the half of it."

"Well, you deserved better."

"I wish I knew that before. If I did, I wouldn't have wasted so much time."

"So what happened after?" Harley questioned curiously.

"Well, then I had a business trip, so I was on my way to the airport. Evidently, I didn't get there. So now I'm... here." The man sighed, deflated as he loosened his navy blue tie.

"I'm sorry." Harley said gently.

"Ah, it is what it is. At some point, you just gotta accept what you've been given, y'know?"

Oh, she did know.

"I'm Denny, by the way."

"Harley." The girl smiled, going to stick out her hand for him to shake but retracted it when she realised it wasn't the best idea.

"It's nice to meet you, Harley. I gotta say it feels good to talk to someone about this." Denny smiled in relief. "I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders."

"Well, I have been told that I'm good person to talk to."

"What about you, kid? You have any relationship problems you need to vent about? Boyfriend? Girlfriend? Significant other? I don't judge." Denny said as he raised his hands and Harley got a glimpse of the red on the white cuffs of his dress shirt.

"Not a one, Denny." Harley exhaled, shaking her head. "Not a one. My problems are strictly the ones no one can see. And not one of them has anything to do with relationships."

"That might not be such a bad thing. Speaking from experience as someone who just went through something and survived high school, rushing into relationships just so you won't be alone is a horrible idea. It's always best to wait for the right person. And having time to yourself isn't always a bad thing."