Chapter 34: Wrath of the Ghost

The first place I ended up while following Ro was Camp Wanapitei's bridge. I got in so much trouble.

A young man stopped me from crossing the bridge and said, "Whoa, lass, take it easy. You can't cross the bridge. There's a camp going on."

"That's my bird!" I shouted, and I pushed by him. "I'm trying to find a young hermit, sir, so let me go!"

"A hermit?" asked the man. "There's no on like that around here."

"Kylie!" I heard Dad shout again behind me, but I ignored him.

"The bird's telling me he needs help!" I yelled. "I've got to find him, sir! He's my friend!"

"There's not a hermit here!" the man told me.

"Yes, there is!" I shouted. "And his name is Ihaan!" With that, I jumped into a sprint and crossed the bridge.

        Just as the man told me, I ran right into a camp. A group of kids and camp counselors were getting ready to go canoeing, and all their canoes and paddles rested on the ground. The counselors were giving a lecture about canoeing when I rudely interrupted them. Hey, I was only trying to help Ihaan.

Ro soared towards the forest behind some cabins, and I followed her. Unfortunately, I didn't see where I was going because my eyes were so focused on her. I ended up tripping over a paddle, and I crashed into about four kids. Fortunately, none of us were hurt, but we fell on top of one another and became twisted in a pretzel. The crash was so loud that a few birds took off in flight, and the kids scattered.

One of the camp counselors rounded them up, and another one shouted, "Hey!" at me. "Just what do you think you're doing?!"

"I'm so sorry!" I said. I knew I was in trouble. I crawled out of the kid pretzel and rose to my knees. The counselor who chewed me out stood directly in front of me with her hands on her hips, and she glared. "You see," I added with, and I pulled the rest of the kids out of the pretzel, "I did not mean to cause any trouble. It's just, I'm trying to find my friend. He's a hermit, and he lives here in the forest."

"Hermit?" asked the counselor. "What are you talking about? You are in so much trouble, young lady! How dare you put these children in danger!"

"I didn't mean too!" I shouted again. "I was just following my friend's eagle. She said that he needs my help."

"Oh for the love of...!" shouted the counselor. She smacked her hands to her face and rubbed it down. "All right." She lowered her voice a bit, but I could tell she was still angry, "where are your friend's parents, lass, and why are they separated from each other?"

"He doesn't remember." I worriedly stated. "He has amnesia, ma'am. He's also hurt. He said he was critically injured when he was little, and I don't think his ankle ever healed properly. He walks with a limp!"

"There is nobody like that around here!" snapped the counselor. "No hermit lives here in the provincial park, lass! Last time a kid went missing was ten years ago in a canoe accident, and he succumbed to his injuries!"

"I'm not talking about the Ghost of Ontario!" I said, and I stood up. "I'm talking a young boy that I met, ma'am! His name is Ihaan!"

"There is no one like that around here," stated the counselor. "Get that through your head, kid! You're the one who's hurt! Where are your parents?"

        Suddenly, I heard the voice of Mom, "Kylie!" and I gasped.

"Uh oh." The counselor, kids, and I turned in the direction where the voice came from. There stood Mom, and with her was Dad. Both of them glared, but Mom glared the hardest.