Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Grover didn't want to be around me as much as before, and I suspect the reason for that is because he thinks he might give something away. (He probably would have) Since I had a bit of time to myself, I decided that it would be the perfect opportunity to train.

I knew I wasn't as strong or fit as I was before, so I decided training was the best thing I could do to fix that.

I started training by putting fat ass dictionaries in my backpack, while running ten times around the school as fast as I could. I joined the school swim team and started to do weightlifting to help build up some arm muscle. It helped a lot and I could tell I was getting stronger. You could tell slightly just by looking at me.

I started focusing more on my grades and trying my best, even with my dyslexia, to get better grades. I stopped getting into fights with Nancy Bobofit and her friends. I was starting to get better grades in all of my classes and ended up with all B’s, except I have an A in Latin and PE.

I knew I had to get expelled from Yancy before I left or I wouldn't get to meet Tyson, so I decided to do what I do best and… 

... blow up the science lab.

Finals were coming up quickly and I already finished studying for them, so I decided to do some reading. 

I know what your thinking, your thinking ‘Percy, why the fuck would you do that.’ well I thought that it would be a great idea to learn a few other languages.

I already know a few. The languages I know are English, Greek, Spanish, French, Latin and sign language. The ones I am planning to learn are Arabic, Italian, German, Russian, Norse, Mandarin, Portuguese and Hindi. I know it seems like a lot, but I had a few friends who spoke a few of these languages and tortured me on them. The only ones I know nothing about is Russian, Portuguese and Hindi.

Before I knew it the end of the year was approaching.

Tomorrow was the day of the latin exam. Which meant that today was the day that I spied on Grover and Chiron, which I wasn't going to do time since I already know what they are going to talk about.

I saw Grover sneak out of the room to talk to Chiron. I decided to ignore him and get a well rested sleep before the exam.

The next afternoon, I was leaving the three-hour Latin exam I had aced, Chiron/Mr. Brunner called me back inside the class.

"Percy," he said. "Don't be discouraged about leaving Yancy. It's ... it's for the best."

I internally winced at what he said.

‘That could have been worded a whole lot better.’ I thought.

I mumbled, "Okay, sir."

"I mean ..." Mr. Brunner wheeled his chair back and forth, like he wasn't sure what to say. "This isn't the right place for you. It was only a matter of time."

I winced again. He really needs to learn how to give a pep talk.

“Thank you sir,” I said, smiling faintly.

 "No, no," Mr. Brunner said. "That didn't come out right.” I raised an eyebrow. He was making the situation a whole lot worse every time he tried to fix it.

“I know what you're trying to say.” I said smiling gratefully. I knew he wasn't trying to be mean, he just worded what he wanted to say wrong.

Time Skip

On the last day of the term, I shoved my clothes into my suitcase.

The other guys were joking around, talking about their vacation plans. One of them was going on a hiking trip to Switzerland. Another was cruising the Caribbean for a month. They were juvenile delinquents, like me, but they were rich  juvenile delinquents. Their daddies were executives, or ambassadors, or celebrities. I was a nobody, from a family of nobodies...unless you count the gods, then that's a different story.