Chapter 4

Sorry for the wait. I didn't know that I was going to have so many tests and projects last week. I also have to study for my final exams for next week. I have two every day throughout the wee except for monday.

Chapter 4

On the bus Grover was looking at me like I was a dead man, muttering "Why does this always happen?" and "Why does it always have to be the sixth grade?"

Whenever he got upset, Grover's bladder acted up, so I wasn't surprised when, as soon as we got off the bus, he made me promise to wait for him, then made a beeline for the restroom. I almost left him and headed home, but I didn't want Hades to kidnap her. 

When he got out of the bathroom I was prepared for us to make a beeline to Camp Half-blood, but that wasn't the case.

“Let's go to your mom, I need to tell her something.”

I got an uneasy feeling in my gut that we would see my mother whether or not I wanted to. And I was sure that she would be kidnapped one way or another. I knew the fates wanted Hades to kidnap my mom so I would stop world war three, if she wasnt kidnapped I probably wouldn't have gone.

"East One-hundred-and-fourth and First," I relectlety told the driver.

I was nervous of Grovers reaction to smelly Gabe, he has never met him before and i didnt want Gabe to accidentally reveal anything to my friend. There's a few things I want to keep secret.

We walked into my mom's small apartment, and I was hoping my mom would be home from work, but I already knew she wouldn't be. Instead, Smelly Gabe was in the living room, playing poker with his buddies. The television blared ESPN. Chips and beer cans were strewn all over the carpet.

Hardly looking up, he said around his cigar, "So, you're home and with a friend.” He drew out.

“You got any cash?"

"I don't have any cash," I told him.

 He raised a greasy eyebrow.

Gabe could sniff out money like a bloodhound, which was surprising, since his own smell should've covered up everything else.

 "You took a taxi from the bus station with your friend," he said. “You probably paid with a twenty. Got six, seven bucks in change. Somebody expects to live under this roof, he ought to carry his own weight. Am I right, Eddie?"

 Eddie, the super of the apartment building, looked at me with a twinge of sympathy. "Come on, Gabe, the kid just got here."

 "Am I right ? " Gabe repeated with an undelinning threat in his tone.

 Eddie scowled into his bowl of pretzels. The other two guys passed gas in harmony.

 "Fine," I said. I dug a wad of dollars out of my pocket and threw the money on the table. "I hope you lose."

 "Your report card came, brain boy!" he shouted after me. "I wouldn't act so snooty!"

I just grinned. ”It's better than what you have ever got.”

He scowled in reply and we headed towards my room, which really wasn't my room. During school months, it was Gabe's ‘study’. He didn't study anything in there except old car magazines, but he loved shoving my stuff in the closet, leaving his muddy boots on my windowsill, and doing his best to make the place smell like his nasty cologne and cigars and stale beer.

I dropped my suitcase on the bed. ‘Home sweet home.’ I thought sarcastically.

‘Wait! Can you even think sarcastically to yourself? Won't that be weird if someone reads your mind when you are being sarcastic. Would they think you are being sarcastic to them? I wonder if anyone can read my mind. Would they be weirded out with my thought process? Wait, if someone can read my mind, would they know I'm from the future? Wait...can Grover read my mind. Nevermind thats a stupid question, of cource he cant.’