Chapter 12

Chapter 12

We were pretty miserable that night.

We camped out in the woods, a hundred yards from the main road, in a marshy clearing that local kids had obviously been using for parties. The ground was littered with flattened soda cans and fast-food wrappers.

We'd taken some food and blankets from Aunty Em's, but we didn't dare light a fire because it would attract unwanted attention.

I dried off Annabeth and Grover so they wouldn't freeze much to their surprise.

“I didn't know you could do that.” Annabeth said in shock

“Errr…yeah I didn't either, I-uh I just thought about drying you off and it just happened, I wasn't sure that it would actually work.” I said uncertainty. 

She looked at me suspiciously, but didn't say anything.

We decided to sleep in shifts. I volunteered to take first watch.

Annabeth curled up on the blankets and was snoring before her head had even hit the ground. Grover fluttered with his flying shoes to the lowest bough of a tree, put his back to the trunk, and stared at the night sky.

"Go ahead and sleep," I told him. "I'll wake you if there's any trouble."

He looked at me uncertainly

"How about I take first watch instead? You need to get some sleep."

I wanted to protest, but he started to play Mozart, soft and sweet, and I turned away, my eyes stinging. After a few bars of Piano Concerto no. 12, I was asleep.

In my dreams, I stood in a dark cavern before a gaping pit. Gray mist creatures churned all around me, whispering rags of smoke that I somehow knew were the spirits of the dead.

They tugged at my clothes, trying to pull me back, but I felt compelled to walk forward to the very edge of the chasm.

Looking down made me dizzy.

The pit yawned so wide and was so completely black, I immediately knew it was bottomless and that You-Know-Who was down there. No, I wasn't talking about Voldemort for those of you who guessed that.

“The little hero,” You-Know-Who said, far down in the darkness. “Too weak, too young, but perhaps you will do. They have misled you, boy, barter with me. I will give you what you want.”

A shimmering image hovered over the void: my mother, frozen at the moment she'd dissolved in a shower of gold. Her face was distorted with pain, as if the Minotaur were still squeezing her neck. Her eyes looked directly at me, pleading: Go!

I tried to cry out, but my voice wouldn't work.

Cold laughter echoed from the chasm.

An invisible force pulled me forward. It would drag me into the pit unless I stood firm.

“Help me rise, boy.” The voice became hungrier. “Bring me the bolt. Strike a blow against the treacherous gods!”

“Never!” I shouted, making the voice growl.

The spirits of the dead whispered around me, “No! Wake!”

The image of my mother began to fade. The thing in the pit tightened its unseen grip around me.

“Good, it murmured. Good.”

“Wake! the dead shouted. Wake!”

 Someone was shaking me.

My eyes opened, and it was daylight.

 "Well," Annabeth said, "the zombie lives."

I was trembling from the dream. I could still feel the grip of the chasm monster around my chest.