Rules Are Just A Suggestion Chp. 12

‘Is there something wrong, you seemed kind of distant at the end of homecoming?’

     With a blank expression written on my face, I stared at the screen. Lying was never my sort of thing.

     ‘I just have a lot on my mind. Don't worry, nothing about you.’

     It was Monday morning, the second day after homecoming. The day we go back to school. Sunday I didn't talk to or see Max and he didn't try to talk to me or see me either. This morning, however, he sent a text for the first time.

     "I'll see you after school, mom!" I called after her as I made my way to the gym.

     I have made my decision last night. I don't know which way my personal life is going and I want answers as soon as possible. That is why I am daring myself to talk to Mr. Jameson. I mean he is the one who owes me the most answers, does he not? I opened the door to the Driver's ED classroom, my heart pounding like a maniac on crack. To my dismay, the classroom was empty. I debated on whether or not to stay and wait, then, thought maybe another teacher would walk in and become curious about why I am in there. I sighed silently and walked out the door, only to come face-to-face with Mr. Jameson. I half expected him to ignore me, just like last time. But he didn't. He smiled that heart-melting smile.

     "I-I need to talk to you." Basic logic was escaping my brain.

     He indicated me to follow him into the classroom with his index finger. I gulped and obeyed the demand. "So, what do you need to talk to me about?"

     "Saturday, at homecoming, the kiss."

     "What about it?"

     Is this the same teacher? I sat down at a desk that was close to the teacher's desk, where he currently was seated. "Are you going to talk to me like a civil human being from now on, or what? I, personally, would like to know."

     His smile was still on his face. "I didn't want to treat you the way I did. That was the only way I saw that would hopefully get you to stop liking me. To hate me."

     "The only thing I hate about you, is what you did, but I could never hate you for you." Somewhere in that sentence, I got up and walked over to his desk. I felt a rush of confidence overcome me. "I like you...A lot."

     Mr. Jameson smirked and got out of his chair. "I like it when you are so sure of yourself."

     All my confidence went down the drain after that and I became weak in the knees. "You're just saying that because you're my teacher."

     "Actually..." He sat on the edge of his desk, in front of me. "I shouldn't be saying that because I am your teacher."

     I bit my lip and expected him to leave me then and there, never to return. As if reading my thoughts, he wrapped me in his muscular arms and kissed the top of my head. "You should go to class. You don't want to be late." Mr. Jameson said.

     I nodded in agreement and started walking towards the door. I didn't even have time to make it three feet away from my spot, considering Mr. Jameson pulled me back to him. I was positioned so that my body was lying against his. I gave him a questioning look and he just smiled down at me. He slowly lowered his head to me, bringing his lips to meet mine as well.

     It only lasted a second. "Better get going."

     "You know," I looked at him throw half-closed eyes. "If you write me a late pass, I won't get in trouble with the teacher."

     He chuckled. "I'll see ya in fifth hour."

     I pouted my lower lip. "That's five hours away."

     "Yeah, but you'll be able to see your boyfriend in fourth hour. Catch up on the kissing we missed."

     That was a stab in the heart. I forgot all about Max. How could I be doing this to him? I backed away from him and exited the classroom quickly. I wasn't mad at Mr. Jameson at all. Just myself. I guess I need to make yet another decision. And fast.