Rules Are Just A Suggestion Chp. 2

Jordyn and I departed to the lunch room once P.E. finally ended, I spotted my mom laughing and talking merrily to a couple of students.

    “Jordyn, I want you to meet my mom, come with me.” I linked my arm with hers and waltzed over the potato line.

    "Hey mom." I said as she handed me my chicken nuggets and mashed potatoes with gravy. "This is Jordyn Taylor. My newest friend here." I poured hot sauce all over my potatoes and grabbed a couple packets of ranch.

    "It’s a pleasure meeting you. I’m so glad Robyn is making friends here."

    I continued down the line as I heard my mom make small talk with the other students. I grabbed a small jug of strawberry milk and walked to the lady taking my lunch money. She was an obese lady with black hair that barely reached her shoulders. Her smile painted was genuine and her laugh was from a kind heart. “Thank you, darling. Enjoy.” Her southern accent left a feeling of great hospitality.

    Once we sat down at an empty table, Jordyn asked me. "So, why do you want to join the dance team so badly?"

    I sighed loudly. "I want us to join, because it should be fun." I could tell her why, but risk the chance of her saying no? I don’t think so.

    She rolled her eyes and took a bite out of her chicken nugget. "Alright, try-outs are in two days. We can work after school on our routines. But I have to fore warn you, I have never been on the dance team, don’t know what their standards are."

    I squealed and hugged her. "You've just became my official best friend."

~*~

     I found myself growing more and more nervous as my classes came and gone, and my first driving lesson would soon begin.

    Last night, Jordyn came over and I decided to dance to ‘Whistle’ by Flo-Rida, while she was going to be dancing to '2 Reasons (Ladies and The Drinks)’ By Trey Songz. After almost three hours, we finally got the beginning down to our songs, but we still have the middle and end to do tonight.

    The bell rang for everyone to go to their next class or in my specific case, Driver’s ED lesson. I followed Jordyn as she directed me on how to get there. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, it was actually on the way to the gym. I hugged her goodbye and skeptically walked into the classroom. It looked like an average classroom, except there were chalkboards instead of marker boards and street signs everywhere, other than that there were desks, a teacher’s desk with a computer on that desk, and a television in the front of the classroom.

    I sat at a desk in the front of the classroom, searched in my bag for driver's permit and waited for the teacher, or at least even another student. The final bell rang and just as I was about to leave, Mr. Jameson walked in.

    "And you tell me not to be late." I mumbled to myself.

    His eyes glanced my way, letting me know that he heard me. "Sorry, I'm late. I just arrived at school about five minutes ago. Do you have your learners permit?"

    I nodded and walked over to the teacher's desk and handed the document to him. He typed some stuff on the computer before getting up.

    "Let’s get a move on then."

    I left my bag on top of the desk and caught up with Mr. Jameson. "Is there another student that is going to be driving with us?"

    He sighed. "Yeah, but he hasn’t arrived yet. I am supposed to wait at least five minutes to see if he shows."

     The door opened and in walked a short, blond fellow. “Sorry I’m late. I didn’t realize we had to meet in the Driver’s ED classroom.”

    We walked into the school parking lot and he directed us all the way to the opposite side of the lot. "This is the car we will be driving. You always want to do a car check before you drive." It was a shiny gold Ford Taurus with ‘Student Driver’ written in black on the back bumper.

    I followed him and pretended to check the tires. He gave me the impression that this wasn’t in his daily driving routine either. Mr. Jameson got in the driver’s seat as I got in the passenger side, while Sammy got in the backseat. "Now, you would have to adjust the mirrors." He kept on rambling.

    I couldn't help but notice how his jaw clenches just a little bit as he talks. Another thing I picked up on is he wouldn't make any eye contact with me at all. He'd look everywhere, but at me.

    "...Think you can handle this thing?"

    I nodded slowly, not hearing a word he just said. "Piece of cake."