7: One More Night

We sleep with each other tonight - sprawled on the sofa under a thin blanket. It feels like we are the only two in the world. No Daleks, no Cybermen, no nothing.

Just us.

I don't sleep much that night, I'm too busy watching the Doctor. He has a slight smile on his face, his eyes closed gently, eyelashes brushing his cheeks. God, I love him so much. All my hate for the Daleks is gone, because they're not here anymore.

It's just us in our own world, forever.

When I wake the first thing I realise is that somehow, by accident or not, my lips are joined with his, and he seems to be asleep too. I smile and gently detach myself, climbing up off the Doctor. It's best to let him sleep as long as possible after his accident.

While he sleeps I raid the cupboards downstairs for food and end up preparing some jam on toast. It occurs to me that all the time I've spent with the Doctor I've never known what his favourite food is. I give up trying to guess and take a plate up to the room.

I find the Doctor awake, wandering about sleepily, his tie undone and his suit creased. I smile at him and laugh. 'You don't have to wear that, you know. It's creased! Do you never split from that stupid suit?'

Reluctantly he lets me take it from him and we sit down to eat some toast.

'I didn't know what your favourite food was, so the simplest thing I could make was jam on toast,' I confess. He laughs and licks some jam from his lips.

Wiping his hands on his trousers he says thoughtfully: 'I don't mind what I eat, if I'm eating it with you.' I blush and smile bashfully.

As I look down at my hands, not knowing what to say next, the Doctor reaches out to me and I take his hand, surprised.

'Give me one more night, Rose,' he whispers. 'Give me one more night like that and then I'll save the world. I swear. One more night of the normal life. Just one more night.'