12: System Malfunction

'You're right. It will be the end. Now let's do this,' I say.

It feels like the last time all over again.

But I push that thought to the back of my mind and in synchronicity we pull the levers.

'Systems activated.'

'Hold on!' The Doctor shouts, but I don't have to be told. I'm holding onto that handle for dear life and I'm not going to let go, no matter what happens.

It's strange how I forgot how hard it was. It feels like slow motion as the wind pulls on my body, the Daleks are thrown into the Void. For a moment I swear this is just a dream, a replay of what happened to me two months back.

But it isn't. All of this is real. It's happening again.

This time I'm not going to let go.

Everything is going fine and my strength is holding out. But then it's shattered by a metallic, computer voice -

'System malfunction. System malfunction.'

I'm looking across at the Doctor, a look of confusion is on my face. It's mirrored on his and then suddenly it occurs to me.

I can save us. I can do it.

It's a risk but I'm willing to take it.

Keeping one hand on the handle, I reach out with my right hand and heave the lever. I pull it and pull it. I won't be sucked in again. I won't.

I won't.

I won't. I won't.

But before I have time to realise it, my fingers are slipping on the handle and I'm losing my grasp. I shake and shake and kick my legs against the strong pull to get my grip back, but I can't reach. I'm a millimetre away from grabbing the handle again.

Suddenly all my concentration slips and I'm falling, falling, falling.

Falling.

Back.

Back into Parallel Earth.

And this time, there's no way back.