8: The Genesis Ark

'I can't let you do that, Doctor,' I reply, standing up. 'I can't let you have another night with me. It's dangerous.' I sigh and slump my shoulders. 'Look, let me try and explain what it's like for me. Imagine if I had to go back, tomorrow. And this time there was absolutely no way I could come here again, no way I could see you. Imagine me, lost with those memories of nights with you..it would hurt too much, Doctor. I can't let you. You need to get out there. Get out there and save them.'

The Doctor takes my hand. 'Then let's go...let's go save the world. Rose Tyler, are you ready?'

We decide we're done in that house, so we take some food and lock the door behind us, leaving the keys under the mat. It's early so there's nobody - nobody that's alive, that is - around. I can hear the distant cry of another Dalek victim somewhere down the street and wince.

'Doctor, we gotta get out there,' I say, curling my fingertips around his. 'Stop it with the romantics. There are people dying at our feet and we're not helping.'

With no more words the Doctor takes his screwdriver and we creep around a large apartment block to where the Dalek fleets are.

Before I can stop him, the Doctor is running forward and is holding his screwdriver to a Dalek. 'I'm the Doctor, and I'm here to save the universe! And nobody, no Dalek, nobody is ever going to stop me!'

'EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! THE DOCTOR WILL BE EXTERMINATED! THE GENESIS ARK WILL BE ACTIVATED!'

What?

No, it couldn't possibly be.

Not the Genesis Ark. Not again.

It got sucked into the Void!

But there it is. It's right in front of my eyes, right there, in front of me. The Genesis Ark.

It's back.

But how?

'THE DALEKS HAVE FOUND A WAY TO REPLICATE THE ORIGINAL GENESIS ARK, WITH EXACTLY THE SAME PURPOSES - THE DALEKS WILL REIGN SUPREME AND THE DOCTOR WILL BE EXTERMINATED!'

So if the Genesis Ark is back, and it serves the exact same purpose as before, which is to have millions of Daleks stored inside it (Time Lord technology: it's bigger on the inside), then there's one question left.

What chance do me and the Doctor stand against a million Daleks?

A human girl and the Last of the Time Lords.

Unarmed.