9: Flames Burn

'I can't see a way out of this, Doctor,' I say, holding his hand tightly against me. I was paralysed, standing, watching an army of angry Daleks descend upon us. 'Doctor, what do we do?'

Suddenly I'm aware of the smell of smoke, distant but still recognisable. That's when I see a long rope across the street, curving round the houses and over the roofs of buildings.

And one end is on fire.

I swear under my breath. 'I'm going to kill the Daleks, someday,' I whisper. 'I'm going to kill them. I swear I will.'

By now the fire is spreading quickly down the rope, and it's getting nearer and nearer my feet. 'Doctor, run!' I scream, trying to sprint away from the ever-nearing flames. But he has a tight grip on my arm and I can't get away. 'For God's sake, Doctor!'

There's about five inches between me and the flames, and already the street is in a mess. Rubbish from over spilling bins is burning on the floor, engulfed in furious flames. Suddenly the Doctor kisses me swiftly, and turns me to face him.

'Rose, you've got to get out of here,' he tells me, searching my face for fear intently. 'You've got to go. I'm not losing you again. It's my duty, saving London - I've got to do it. I'm not having you die for me. Get out of here and I'll find you later.'

I feel a hot sensation on the underside of my foot and look down to see the rubber soles of my trainers burning. This time I don't need to be told twice. He'll find me later. I've just got to go. Be safe.

For him.

Flames lick around me as the fire creeps up my jeans, seeping through and burning my skin harshly. I cry out in pain and before I know it I am letting go of the Doctor's hand, running away. My clothes are on fire. I am a bird, like a Mockingjay. I remember my favourite book, The Hunger Games, and I use the memory of it to keep me running and running until I reach salvation. The rope keeps going and going but all I care about is getting away from the flames, getting myself safe for the Doctor. The tips of my hair are singed but most of the fire has blown out by now.

That's when my foot touches water and I'm no longer running. Instead I'm sinking, sinking, sinking into the water. Choking, choking, choking on the cool liquid. But all the fire is out and I don't care about the dark spots that are blurring my vision. I'm safe now.

I'm safe for the Doctor.