Chapter 9

The table is full like the first time I shared dinner with the Berkshire family, but the feeling is less welcoming and more tense. Thankfully, I'm not the only one who seems to be anxious about what dinner might have in store. Ms. Berkshire has shifty eyes. Scarlette is chewing at her lip like it's something to eat. Isabella is pushing her stifado from side to side in the bowl. Roman is tapping his fingers on the mahogany table. Elijah is less anxious and more annoyed, grumbling under his breath while he's holding frozen peas to his eyes. Mr. Berkshire seems to be the only person that isn't anxious, but that's from his lack of awareness. He's contently eating away at his stifado while no one else can seem to stomach it. There's an elephant in the room that no one can ignore. The question is, who will be the first to acknowledge it?

     Clearing his throat, as expected Roman is the first to draw the attention of the room. "So, are we going to discuss what happened?" He looks between Elijah and I, looking for answers. As if only just realizing his family is at the table, Mr. Berkshire looks up from his food and at the rest of his family, taking in the scene before him. For the first time, he looks at Elijah to find the peas being held to his eye. From beside Roman, I shift uncomfortably, unsure of how to answer. Neither Elijah nor I jump to answer him. "Do I have to guess?" There's a hint of anger in his voice. If you didn't know him, you might think he was poking fun at the situation, but everyone at this table knew him.

     "The little mouse has quite the right hook." Elijah answers, wearing a grin that I can even see is forced.

     "What did you do to earn it?" Roman asks. For once, I'm thankful to have him in my corner.

     "Who said I did anything? Maybe she just has a temper. It wouldn't be the first time you found a bitch with an attitude." In the blink of an eye, Roman is on his feet and reaching across the table. Elijah has very little time to react. By the time he realizes what's happening, Roman has him by the front of his shirt and yanks him so roughly forward that his older brother's nose immediately slams into the table.

     "Boys!" Their mother screams. But, this doesn't break Roman's hold on his brother. The palm of his hand is pressed to the side of his brother's head, pushing him firmly into the table.

     "Don't fucking ever say that again. Do you understand?" Even in his position, Elijah snorts. Roman lifts the man's head by his hair, before slamming it against the table again. "Do you understand?!" He roars. Everyone stays silent. I watch with horror in my eyes, unable to look away in the same disturbing way that one can't look away from a terrible train wreck. Finally, with much reluctance, Elijah nods. Roman leans in, growling in his brother's ear. "Apologize." His older brother tries to fight against his strength, but is only pressed further down. "Now or i'll fucking smash your skull in."

     Against his will, Elijah squeezes out a weak apology. "I'm sorry." Finally, Roman releases his brother and returns to his seat. Collectively, all at once, the rest of the table releases a breath of relief.

     Without looking at me, Roman asks if I accept, which I answer with a brisk nod, afraid of what he might do to his brother if I deny his apology. Roman simply nods and returns to dinner. At the end of the table, breaking the tense silence with laughter, sits Mr. Berkshire. "Did this little girl really catch you off guard, Elijah? Truly pathetic." He shakes head, tsking, before shoving another spoonful of stifado. On possibly a once in a lifetime occasion, I find Elijah ashamed. He flashes me a dangerous glare, taking the napkin Selene offers as she does her rounds around the table. Clearly, she's used to this kind of behavior at the dinner table, enough to know not to question the events that led to Elijah having a bloody nose. She offers to pour more alcohol in our glasses even though most of us haven't even had a sip.