Chapter 21

"In America, one must be something, but in Italy one can simply be." - Pietros Maneos

Venice, Italy was the last place I'd think my job, as an assistant to a publisher, would lead me to. Traveling to other states as a way to reach and find the best of the best authors, is to be expected. But, Italy? Searching for authors in another country never crossed my mind. However, now that I've thought about it, voices, stories, words from different countries can make Berkshire's Publishing the business to beat.

The invitation to join Roman on the trip was unexpected. For weeks this man has encouraged me to use his family home as a bomb shelter, instructing every sibling to watch my every move like the whitehouse security guards. My own fear has convinced me to lie low, bury myself beneath layers and layers of blankets, disappear. This will keep me safe. This will keep my family safe. This will keep the people closest to me safe. As if I never existed. As if I never breathed the same air as them. As if they never had the inconvenience of meeting me. Now, all of a sudden, I'm being torn away from the safety net that I've become oh so familiar with. He's inviting me to see more of the world with him. Welcoming more dangers and monsters that we know nothing about. Better to know your enemy, than to not know of them at all.

However, it seems that Roman Berkshire has other ideas for me. Everything happened in less than 24 hours. Invitation, packing, extended invitation to my best friend, a private plane waiting, and landing in the country known for love and gelato.

Excited for the country and everything it has to offer, my insides were twisting, my brain rattling with possibilities. Though, weighted down by pure exhaustion, a smile would have to be enough. By the solemn expression Roman wears, this wasn't the reaction he was expecting. A better reaction awaited him the next morning, but until then, "Where will we be staying?" His face quickly changes to one of business. But before he can answer, a limousine parks directly in front of us.

The front driver's door opens, revealing a young man in a suit. "Mr. Gibson, sir." He shakily holds his hand out to Roman to introduce himself. "Quite an honor to drive you, Mr. Berkshire."

Roman gives his hand a firm handshake, almost brushing him off like this behavior is normal. This event will be one this man remembers for years to come. Roman will not give this event a single thought again. Just a brief, insignificant interaction. I couldn't help, but feel bad for the man.

Outside the car it doesn't look like much. A simple limousine that you would find kids taking for prom. Climbing inside of this limousine is like crawling into a new dimension. It's much more spacious than scientifically possible. Gelato, cannoli's, panna cotta, tiramisu. Sweet gold straight from Italy. They rounded the slick black table, which rose straight from the floor of the limo with one click, tempting the guests to join the carousel of delights. A flat screen tv for entertainment. Heat warming seat cushions. Feet massagers on the bottom of each seat. Vibration and massagers on the back of our seats. A spa inside a limousine. Scarlette and Elena, who he insisted on inviting in case the hotel staff didn't meet his standards, were drinking champagne and enjoying the massages. Noah's leaning over the table, picking through the sweets like a little kid. Skylar sits on the opposite side of the limo, smiling and sipping her champagne. Roman resides in the corner, holding a glass of champagne out to me. He looks at me as if he doesn't know how I'll respond. There's a spark in those dark eyes, a spark that reveals how afraid he is that I will just turn around and get back on that plane. A pang of sadness suddenly hits me. This wasn't how it was supposed to be. Never in my life had I wished that I was the kind of girl that could be considered a mystery or unpredictable, but that's exactly who I became to Roman. Forcing a small crooked smile, I crouch down and make my way to him. Without warning, the limo juts forward, sending me straight into Roman's arms.

"Woah." I hold his shoulder in an attempt to steady myself.

His first instinct is to grab my waist and hold me until I can stand by myself. "So, you're ready to admit you're falling for me?" There it is. He shows off that same devilish grin that was first introduced to me during my interview for the internship. Like then, butterflies flutter in the deepest parts of my stomach and there's a chill up my spine. There's a short moment when we just stare at each other, waiting for the other to make a move. An intense gaze shared between us, saying all the things we can't say aloud. It's not until Scarlette clears her throat that we break eye contact, our surroundings bringing us back to reality.

Slowly, carefully I sit down, leaving a small, but obvious gap in between Roman and I. Heat burns my cheeks, alerting myself that my blush is most definitely on display. Against my better judgment, I lift my head to look at the embarrassed guests, only to find them desperately searching for something to distract themselves with. Scarlette and Elena tilt their heads back, returning to their massage like they have seen nothing. Noah's awkwardly sipping his water, staring at it like it's going to do some kind of trick. Skylar is the only one that is brave enough to make eye contact with me, a giddy smile taking hold over her lips.

**********************************

Half an hour later, we are standing outside the Ritz Paris hotel. Like typical tourists, we admire the building with excitement pumping through our veins. Though, while we must've looked like children looking through the glass window of a candy shop, Roman and Scarlette's heads are low, looking through their phones. After a minute or so, they both look up to find us giving them curious looks. "Checking our status." They say in unison. Following their lead, we head inside.

What do you think will happen next?

Like and comment

Share

Feedback is welcomed