Chapter 13

Night had fallen, fog following close behind, by the time Roman had finished his story and I made my choice. This time the decision had been made for me. With my decision made, in a sense, I signed a contract allowing Roman to do anything he saw fit in the name of my protection. He insisted on me spending the night. He also said it in a way that could be confused with a question, but we both knew that I didn't have a say. If not him, who would take me back to my apartment? Anyhow, did I want to go back to my apartment where anyone can reach me?

Compared to his family's home, Roman's home is more on the simplistic side. There aren't several vacant rooms, waiting for family or close friends to fill them. Instead, there are four rooms; his room, the bathroom, Ezekiel's room, and another room he warns me not to fuck with. A padlock hangs from the door so, naturally, I'm instantly curious. This time he doesn't bother inventing some ridiculous story, but says it's a room full of his paperwork related paperwork. What does this paperwork entail with a business like his? Honestly, I'll enjoy my ignorant bliss as long as I can.

After such an intense conversation, Roman offers me a cup of tea. A strange way to end the night, but somehow it makes sense. Sitting at the marble counter, the memory of the last time I was here makes me flush. Things were much simpler then. The circumstances were definitely way different. Rather than waking up with a raging hungover, Roman saving me from making a further fool of myself, I'm staying with him for my safety. Chamomile eases my nerves, but doesn't erase the information he just shared with me. Too much information at once has me stuck in my head, rolling it over and over trying to make sense of everything. Every time I turn my attention to a stiff Roman, he won't even look at me. He seems a million miles away. I don't attempt to guess what he's thinking. This Roman is even more confusing than the old one. Both of us finish our glasses, a bit lost about the next step.

"Should we start heading to the bedroom?" I can't help flinching at the insinuation in my words. Roman smiles ever so slightly. Probably from the obvious heat rushing to my pale cheeks. Embarrassed, I followed him up the staircase. The last time I was in this room, I was helping him pick out a tie for a photo shoot. There was always a glint of danger in his eyes, but my imagination could never conjure up the full extent of that danger.

"You can lose that deer in the headlights look. I won't bite. Scouts honor." As dark as the situation is, a smile tugs at the corner of my lips, thinking back to the morning of my interview. Standing out the window, looking at the city below, he was the most intimidating human being I ever met. He was the ultimate alpha male. When he flashed me that devilish grin, he promised that he wouldn't bite me. Then, I believed him. Now? I'm not so sure. A white button up dress shirt flies at me, followed by a pair of black sweatpants.

"What is this?" I ask, looking at the clothing like it's an unknown species.

"Clothes." He deadpans, while removing his tie around his neck and shaking off his blazer. "I assumed you wouldn't want to wear that to bed."

I gulp, eyes jumping between the clothes and Roman's ink painted back, hidden beneath the thin layer of his button up dress shirt. In his presence, in such an intimate setting, nervousness fills within me. I can't differentiate between fear and attraction. Maybe a little bit of both. Holding the clothing close to my chest, I walk to his walk-in closet and close the doors behind me. However, I catch a glimpse of the curves of his back in the crack before closing it off completely.

The second those doors close, I slide down them until my knees are pressed to my chest and I'm hugging the clothes. There aren't tears, burning cheeks, or anger boiling in the deepest parts of my body. There's nothing really, or maybe it's everything, but I can't separate one feeling from the other. This sanctuary offers me privacy and silence, both of which I desperately need after the day I've had. Ever since Isabella picked out an outfit for me, I have been on a wild emotional rollercoaster with far too much information thrown at me.