Chapter 17

I don't know what I was expecting, but a glamorous event was not it. After making my way to Scarlette's room to be introduced to one of the most beautiful dresses I've ever seen, a gold beaded off the shoulder tulle ball gown with stars along the skirt to create the illusion of sparkles, I accepted further help when it came to figuring out the perfect hairstyle that would meet the expectations of the dress. Together, we settled on my hair being drawn in a low, loose, and messy bun. Strands of unkempt hair tickled my cheeks. Despite my reluctance to add any accessories, Scarlette took it with a grain of salt and made the executive decision to do as she pleased. The first new addition was the silver headpiece with vines and crystals in the shape of tiny flowers. Plus a long simple gold chain with a small flower at the end, resting between my breasts. Finished off with a bright red lipstick.

One look of admiration from Scarlette tells me everything I need to know. She's pleased with her work and ready to show it off. She takes my arm, pulling me to my feet to see the full body reflection of a stranger. Blonde hair. Green eyes. Red lips. A plunging neckline. Those dark bags I've been carrying for weeks? They're gone. How? No idea. Fashion was a passion at one point. Though, since arriving in Seattle I've lost all of my passions and more. When Scarlette had a goal, there was no stopping her. And somehow she found a way to bring out a glimpse of the girl I once was. In the span of an hour and a touch of magic, she designed a living breathing human being. Tears well in my eyes while a smile molds my lips. I look at a proud Scarlette over my shoulder in the reflection of the mirror. "You're a witch."

"Maybe. Don't spill the beans though. You don't want to be the opposite of my wrath." She replies. An awkward silence followed by a sudden burst of laughter exploded between us. "Now, let's do this." She swipes my arm between hers, practically dragging me behind her. Before I can argue, she's rounding the corner of the staircase leaving us bare to the guests below. They were all dressed beautifully like they stepped right out of a fashion catalog.

"What's this for?" I whisper.

"Berkshire Publishing has been thriving for 7 years. This event is to show appreciation for everyone who keeps it alive. Everyone knows without them that place would be a dumpster fire."

"But why did he hold this event here? Shouldn't it be at some club or hotel?"

"If you haven't noticed, Roman doesn't do anything traditional. These people are like family to him." She answered. However, it didn't sound like the whole truth. Wouldn't he want the best for them? Not like his family home was in foreclosure, but it wasn't anything compared to the extravagance a ballroom could offer.

My face must have given away my suspicion because Scarlette sighs. "Okay. That's not the only reason. He's worried about you. We're all worried about you." All is definitely an exaggeration. The vague term could be used by Scarlette and possibly her mother. Anyone else would be insane. "You're paranoid. Too afraid. We understand you've experienced terribly traumatic events. Sometimes we forget that you're new to this. Sheltered. Naive. I have no intention to insult you, but to speak the truth." We reach the bottom of the staircase when Scarlette turns on her heels to face me. "If we don't do something now, we fear that you will be consumed by your fears and lose you to psychosis. Safety is our main priority. You have to be careful. Alert. But we never meant to scare you so much as to lead you to endless terror. Since safety takes precedence above all, a party held here made the most sense. At least here, you can mingle without the worry of danger. Roman paid 3 times the amount of security since the last incident here. Each of them have hand metal detectors to check every guest. Nobody is questioning it yet. If they had all these priceless items, they'd do the same thing." She gestured to our surroundings with a hopeful smile. "You're safe. Take this chance to feel human again."

I look around at the scene before me. An unfamiliar feeling starts in the middle of my stomach, tightening until I feel like I'm gonna be sick to my stomach. When was the last time I was around this many people? The memory was too far away to touch. My eyes were going a mile a minute, scanning all of these stranger's faces, looking for at least one familiar person to make me feel like home. After a few seconds, I came to the conclusion that I can't do this. This isn't who I am anymore. So what if I become a hermit? It didn't sound that bad. I turn to face Scarlette to only be met by the beige wall. I quickly look around in an attempt to find her, but I am left disappointed.

I am on my own. A zebra out in the open for the lions to stalk and attack.

Sorry for the late update, but I made it before midnight!

What do you think of this chapter? Thoughts?

Comment and like!

Share!