4

When you reached your destination, you had to double check the address. This couldn't be the right place.

The note had lead you to a residential area, as you suspected. However, the streets were more crowded than you had ever seen them, even during markets. You assumed it was due to your proximity to the city center, but the crowds only grew denser. You had to squeeze sideways and duck under arms at points. From what you could make of the angry cries from people, there appeared to be some sort of blockage ahead.

An outstretched foot blocked your path, and you tripped, stumbling right into something solid and metal. You looked up.

Right into the eyes of an Enforcer.

Whoops.

Squeaking an apology, you quickly stepped away and discovered a whole line of Enforcers blocked your path. You weren't sure why, and were about to ask, until you looked up.

On the top floor of the nearest apartment, where there should've been a wall - or. a balcony, perhaps - was a gaping, smoking hole. From your spot on the ground, you could see little of the exposed room. A chalk board covered in a mass of confusion scribbles teetered precariously over the edge along with a shelf whose contents had succumbed to the fall. Scanning the area below, you saw piles of rubble that had yet to be cleared.

So. Maybe this was the right place. But what use did Viktor think you'd have there?

The Enforcer nearest to you was occupied with talking to an enraged citizen demanding to be let past. You took the chance and slipped past, heading straight for the door of the place. Barely two steps later, a hand quickly gripped your arm with so much force you were worried your bones would crack. You didn't need to turn to know who stood behind you.

"No pedestrians," the Enforcer barked, voice muffled by the intricate helmet. "Council's orders."

You looked over your shoulder with all the authority as you could muster (which wasn't much, considering the numbing pain already settling in your arm and the fact you were awkwardly held in place because of it. There'd definitely be a bruise by tomorrow).

"Actually," you said, straightening your spine to stand at your incredibly intimidating height of [your height], "I'm here as per Professor Heimerdinger's assistant's request. I have proof." You attempted to reach unto your pocket for the note, but the Enforcer's grip held strong.

"Yeah, yeah," he mocked dismissively, "and I'm king of the Undercity. Get back there, lab rat."

With a firm push he sent you stumbling back into the crowd. Face burning, you tried - and failed - to ignore the intrigued titters from the onlookers as you pushed pack down the street.

Stupid guard. Stupid note. What were you thinking, waltzing in there like you owned the place? Like you mattered? And in front of all those people, too. Stupid you. Stupid, stupid-

"Y/N!"

Behind you came the familiar clack clack-clack of cane-accompanied footsteps across the tiles.

You turned, and there was Viktor. By now the interaction had turned into a spectacle. People swiftly stepped aside for the man as he strode towards you. He looked seemingly unbothered by the rapt attention, though you noticed he appeared to walk taller, chin held slightly higher.

"Glad to see you made it," he said and beckoned you to follow him.

"Am I still needed?" you asked. Glancing at the watch in your pocket, it read just past five-oh-twelve.

"Of course." He noticed the object you were referring to and chuckled. "Oh, that's slightly too fast. It keeps me on time."

You pocketed it. "Where's the logic in that?"